Software Development Engineer - FreeRTOS Cloud
- Seattle, WA
Software Development Engineer II: FreeRTOS
FreeRTOS is an embedded IoT operating system that will be used to create, connect and secure the next generation of innovative IoT devices. A key component of the FreeRTOS ecosystem is our continuous integration infrastructure and device lab. The CI team within FreeRTOS provides the platform necessary to build, flash, execute, analyze results and verify code changes to FreeRTOS. Our purpose is to provide a highly available, robust, and scalable platform to execute FreeRTOS code in a reliable and repeatable fashion. Towards this end, we own the CI pipeline and hardware lab for FreeRTOS.
We are looking for a creative and passionate software engineer especially one who enjoys wearing many hats to tie together devices, embedded software and cloud services into end to end solutions. If your interest is triggered by terms like device farm, containerization, micro services, infrastructure as code, embedded software, toolchains and continuous integration, and like the opportunity to lead, design and deliver with a degree of independence and ambiguity, we have the right role for you.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. Most days, during non-Covid times, our entire team is co-located in the Seattle office, but we're also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every five weeks. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice. Also, during these Covid times, you may be required to step into the lab when there is a need to do so.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our tenured engineers enjoy mentoring more junior engineers through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what
will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Good grasp of cloud development concepts like micro-services, cloud hosts, distributed storage and AWS services.
• Experience setting up and/or maintaining automated build systems
• Experience with build tool development/maintenance, scripting (python, etc.), devOps.
• Familiar with embedded software development tools and concepts like cross-compilers and tool chains.
• Experience with Docker
• Experience in one or more IoT or embedded industries (i.e. home automation, business automation, health, asset tracking, smart utilities, etc.)
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Candidate must have good written and oral communication skills, be a fast learner and have the ability to adapt quickly to a fast-paced development environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.
Back to top