Software Development Engineer
- New York, NY
Are you interested in building AWS AI services that use cutting edge ML technology? Want to make a significant impact in the daily lives of AWS customers? We are a brand new team at AWS developing a new external facing service that are solving hard AI problems.
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer (SDE) with strong computer algorithms fundamentals and an interest in working in machine learning and complex engineering problems. You will work with an experienced team of scientists and engineers on an innovative AI product in Natural Language Processing and Information Retrieval space; and relentlessly drive key query features that define our customers' search experience.
You will be someone who thrives in a fast-paced start-up like environment, and passionate about solving ambiguous, challenging problems that have not been solved before.
As a SDE on the team, you will:
• Solve engineering and ML/NLP problems and will build robust and scalable solutions, learning and incorporating new technologies as appropriate.
• Participate in the architecture, development, testing, deployment, and delivery of large-scale global software applications, systems, platforms, services or technologies.
• Build your special skill set working at the intersection of science and engineering.
You can find out more here: https://aws.amazon.com/kendra/
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and databases
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operations
• Knowledge of building on AWS systems
• Understanding of core ML techniques and general knowledge of NLP
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.
Back to top