Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Amazon Selection and Catalog Systems (ASCS) builds the systems that host and run the world's largest e-Commerce products catalog. Our high scale distributed systems process hundreds of millions of updates on the billions of products to power the online buying experience for hundreds of millions of Amazon's customers worldwide, so they can find, discover and buy anything they want 24x7x365.
The Validation team within ASCS ensures correctness, consistency and completeness of the data in order to earn and maintain the trust of our customers. Our prime objective is to improve the customer experience by ensuring product data in the catalog is syntactically and semantically correct and consistent through timely updates of product information with high quality, low latency and high efficiency for the business user.
We are looking for a passionate, results-oriented, innovative Software Engineer to drive the design and implementation of the large-scale, multi-tiered, distributed software applications, databases, tools, systems and services that power the Earth's largest e-Commerce selection. A successful candidate will have a strong software development background, exceptional design skills, excellent problem solving, and communication skills and the ability to lead and improve our development processes from day-1. The candidate must show success in designing and implementing scalable distributed systems, improving overall performance and general problem solving. The candidate must have the ability to provide elegant solutions to complex problems, balancing features and performance. Candidates must also have an operational focus, evaluating system performance, designing and evaluating system metrics and driving quality improvement.
Daily work will involve liaising with Amazon business owners, other retail senior developers and principals. You will be responsible for design and implementation for roadmap projects that support corporate data management and quality improvement initiatives, as well as taking on one business-centric project each year. The candidate will be expected to analyze and profile existing systems and processes to identify where improvements to user efficiency, robustness and stability can be made or where manual solutions can be replaced by software solutions. This will be achieved by designing, implementing, testing, and deploying enhancements to our current architecture. The candidate must provide outstanding problem-solving abilities and demonstrate a clear commitment to making Amazon a great place to work.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
• 2+ years professional experience in software development • Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
• Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
• Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Knowledge of, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, or Perl
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
Back to top