With over 120 million members, Goodreads is the world's largest site for readers and book recommendations. Our mission is to help people find and share books they love. Loved by avid and casual readers alike, Goodreads members can discover new books by seeing what their friends are reading or by using the Goodreads Book Recommendation Engine, share ratings and recommendations, track what they have read, and list what they want to read. Goodreads is also a place where more than 220,000 authors connect with readers. Come join us and be a part of Amazon family here at Goodreads!
The Evolve team's mission is to drive "Customer Obsession in Action" across the entire company! As owners of the "Learn" and "Deepen: Track & Display" areas of the Reader's Journey, our main customer goals are to make it easier and more delightful for readers to learn if a book is right for them, as well as track and display their reading lives. We strive to address top pain points on a regular cadence while building towards our longer-term vision for these experiences.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will develop customer-facing experiences in a fast paced environment. You will be involved in hands-on coding & development, and should be comfortable working in an environment where code is pushed into production multiple times in a day. While we have lots of customer facing and front-end oriented products, we also regularly work with Native AWS backend infrastructure.
You are the ideal candidate if you are equally comfortable writing code and defining technical architecture. You must have a deep understanding of scalable, distributed systems, service-oriented architectures, full-stack web development, and application design, as well as flexibility and a passion for learning new skills. You will be expected to work in a heterogeneous environment of different languages and technologies and bring flexibility, speed, and quality to our team. The successful candidate will thrive in a culture of experimentation and innovation, but also have a proven track record of delivering results to solve challenging problems.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Experience with NoSQL AWS data stores like DynamoDB, CloudSearch or their open source equivalents like Cassandra, HBase, Solr or ElasticSearch
• Experience with MySQL, Redis, Memcache and related web-backend technologies.
• Experience with data pipelines (Kafka, AWS Kinesis, AWS Data Pipeline)
• Experience building web applications, widgets, or interactive experiences.