Software Development Engineer - EC2 Pricing & Launch Services
- Reston, VA
Are you a software developer who wants to innovate on world's largest dynamically priced market for computing? Come join the EC2 Pricing & Launch Services team!
The team: Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) enables customers of all sizes to run their applications on our industry leading cloud infrastructure. EC2 Pricing & Launch Services is a team under the EC2 umbrella that helps customers access compute resources at the best possible price based on a commitment to use the service for a specific term.
EC2 Pricing & Launch Services builds & manages the software that enables customers to cost optimize by browsing and committing to use for a term at a lower price than on-demand. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. This team is growing rapidly so we can significantly expand our feature set and increase scale.
You: We're seeking software developers who are passionate about working on distributed systems architecture, solving synchronization & performance optimization problems. You should be passionate about building cool features for our customers, help innovate around our pricing systems, value operational excellence, and help us grow our market segment share. You should have a good understanding of data consistency and transactions between distributed services. Experience with web-services, especially at large scale, will be helpful, and it won't hurt if you enjoy relaxing and having lunch out with the team once in a while.
- Design, build and optimize the software to run an exchange for computing resources including pricing models and distribution of risk
- Design, build and optimize the customer facing features that make it easy for customers around the world to select products and use EC2 features in the most cost-effective way
- Define intuitive web-service APIs and use AWS's cutting edge technologies to develop new customer features rapidly
- Empower developers from around the world to build their applications on EC2 compute power (e.g. reduce friction, simplify APIs, add tooling, improve the service architecture)
- Automatically deploy and monitor your service to identify performance issues before our customers do
- Recruit, interview and hire software developers that raise the bar in all areas
- Mentor junior software developers and grow your skills & career
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Excellent understanding of resource and design requirements for highly scalable systems
• Experience with scripting languages, preferably RUBY or Python
• Experience with the Linux operating system environment
• Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment
• Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving abilities
• Knowledge of system performance and operational readiness monitoring
• Strong desire to build, deliver results, take ownership, and drive projects
• Excellent written communication skills and verbal agility.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field of studies
• Minimum of 3 years of industry software development experience using object oriented design patterns in JAVA, C# or C++
• Prefer 5-7 years
• Knowledge of data structures and good data analysis skills
Back to top