Software Development Engineer - EC2 Placement
- Cape Town, South Africa
Build the systems that optimize how EC2 matches requests for Instances with the underlying compute capacity. EC2 Placement is seeking talented engineers to build the online and offline optimization systems for compute workload scheduling, and the customer capabilities to better manage those workloads. Amazon EC2 provides on-demand scalable compute capacity, and powers some of the largest services in the world. You will collaborate with a top-tier community of engineers to build systems to improve how customers are able to access EC2 compute resources.
The successful candidate will have strong software engineering experience, with a passion for thinking about, building and testing distributed systems. You have an interest in how Machine Learning and other optimization techniques can be applied to large-scale problems. You have demonstrated experience working with a team to design, build and operate large-scale systems. With strong engineering fundamentals, an analytical and data-driven approach to your work, and strong communication skills, you have the ability to collaborate well to deliver results. We move fast and work together on small teams to solve big problems.
If this opportunity sounds interesting, we would love to talk to you more about our work and the vibrant culture at AWS in Cape Town.
• Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent working experience
• 3+ years of industry experience in a software development environment
• Strong Computer Science fundamentals, including data structures, object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
• Proficiency in at least one modern programming language, such as Java, C#, Python, Scala, Kotlin
One or more of the following help you stand out:
• Demonstrated results designing, building and operating high-performance distributed systems in large-scale Linux environments
• Role model in writing high-quality, maintainable and secure code, mentoring others, and helping teams sharpen their development processes
• Ability to work effectively across teams to deliver results, with strong verbal and written communication skills
• Experience working with machine learning systems
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.
Back to top