Software Development Engineer - EC2
- Herndon, VA
Amazon Web Services (AWS) EC2 Networking is looking for experienced engineers to join our development team in Herndon, VA. We offer comprehensive relocation and benefit packages!
Come join a team engineering core software supporting the massive AWS cloud. We are software engineers and systems development engineers that deliver some of the core EC2 network virtualization systems. The domain is networking, but it's all about software. Our engineers work in everything from low-level kernel code in C, to userspace in C++, applications in Java and Scala, and automation in Ruby/Python/etc. Our services range from ones responsible for metering all network usage across AWS (billions of records per hour), to low level code delivering encrypted VPN connections, to large-scale web services allowing customers to reconfigure networks at their whim. We're delivering "API defined networks" at scale. To learn more, check us out here: https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/.
Here are some reasons you should come work with us:
• You will provide services that are core to all modern Internet businesses.
• You will be involved in the complete software development lifecycle; defining, prioritizing, designing, building, and testing new features.
• You will operate an AWS business with globally distributed servers and customers.
• You will learn what it takes to grow and operate a global business at our scale.
• We care about both delighting customers and building high quality software. We don't sacrifice one for the other.
• You will have the opportunity to design and build systems with massive scale.
• We offer a fast-paced environment with a start-up atmosphere. We ship code every day.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, problem solving, algorithm design and analysis
• Expert skill in one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, or Python and proficiency with one other programming language
• Networking experience (HTTP, UDP, TCP/IP) and/or virtualization
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirement through actual launch of the project
• Strong distributed systems and web services design and implementation experience
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top