Software Development Engineer
- Austin, TX
Amazon's mission is to be the world's most customer-centric company, and our homepage is how millions of customers begin their interactions with Amazon every day. We are a global team responsible for designing, developing and shipping one of the world's best known websites. We start with the customer and work backwards in order to build great customer experiences for mobile phones, desktops and tablets (both applications and web). If you've ever visited an Amazon homepage and thought, "this is great" or "this could be better," we're the team to talk to.
Our pages and platforms serve our customers and internal teams globally and across devices. This places a number of unique demands on the team. We need to develop extremely high-performing platforms and pages that respect locale specific needs while also achieving scale and reusability. This requires flexible thinking and code. The Amazon homepage is a full stack development opportunity. While we leverage many of the great services at Amazon, we are also actively scoping new and innovative ways to serve original content as well as testing new user interfaces. Our software development engineers define how we architect these changes in order to build a sustainable and performant Amazon homepage experience.
As a software development engineer, you will be expected challenge the status quo, respect the need to be nimble and develop solutions for our most pressing opportunities. You will work with teams from across the company in order to ensure we are using or developing the features necessary to live up to our mission of being the world's most customer-centric company. You will deep dive into systems and come up with innovative approaches and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities.
You will contribute to creating customer value from massive amounts of data, ensure our features scale to support all relevant business needs, contribute to the integration of our systems with the overall Amazon ecosystem, and collaborate with engineering teams at Amazon who leverage our platforms and pages or work on related problem spaces. Your strong technical knowledge and drive will play a key role in creating the next generation of Amazon homepages. Best of all, your work will impact millions of people across the globe.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• BS in computer science or related field.
• Experience in a modern programming language such as Java or C++.
• 4+ years professional experience in software development, building reliable and scalable software.
• Knowledge of full-cycle software engineering best practices, including code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operational support.
• MS in computer science or a related field.
• Mobile development experience.
• Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems, including AWS and other cloud technologies.
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers.
• Experience optimizing software and website performance.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us .
Back to top