Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
You might've noticed the launch of Alexa calling, messaging and drop in; We also enabled calls with Skype! but its still day 1. We aim to enable our users to reach their friends and family whenever they ask Alexa to do so. Alexa Communications is looking for a passionate engineer to help drive our vision and create even more exciting, new features and magical experiences that foster personal interactions in the right place and at the right time.
We're working hard, having fun, making history; come join us to build cutting edge new technologies and the "communication brains in the cloud".
As a key member of the communications team you will be responsible for development and launch of new Alexa communications capabilities. You will have significant influence on our overall strategy by helping define these product features, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product.
The ideal candidate is clearly passionate about new opportunities and has a demonstrable track record of success in delivering new features and products. Commitment to team work, hustle, and strong communication skills (to both business and technical partners) are absolute requirements. Creating reliable, scalable, and high performance products requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. The ideal candidate has thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality technology products/services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift fast.
You will have an enormous opportunity to impact the customer experience, design, architecture, and implementation of cutting edge products that will be used every day by people you know. No matter what the role, we're looking for people who are passionate about innovating on behalf of customers, demonstrate a high degree of product ownership, and want to have fun while they make history.
The Alexa Communications team's mission is to bring people closer together by enabling customers to use their Alexa devices for convenient, natural, and expressive conversations with family and friends. In May 2017, we launched Alexa calling and messaging. Customers can call and message anyone who has an Echo, Echo Dot, or the Alexa app, and make and receive video calls on the new Echo Show. We are excited to launch Drop In, a new way to communicate spontaneously with the people you care about most, both within and outside the home. We have enabled users to make and receive Skype calls through Alexa. Many more initiatives are underway come join us!
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
• 4+ years' experience building production software systems
• Design and architecture experience, as well as experience with object oriented design patterns
• Experience working on large-scale application deployments and performance tuning.
• Engineering process improvement and SDLC principles experience
• Experience developing cloud software services and design for infinite scalability, performance and reliability
• Development experience defining and developing highly maintainable RESTful web service API's
• Experience mentoring other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
• Master's degree
• Excellence in technical communications with both technical and non technical peers
• Knowledge of SIP and other VOIP technologies
• Solid project planning/execution skills including estimating, scheduling, and executing on committed schedules
• Excellent judgment, organizational, and problem-solving skills
• Exceptional interpersonal communication skill, including verbal, written, listening and customer relationships
• Ability to work in a dynamic environment
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us .
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
Back to top