Software Development Engineer
You are talented, adaptable, and flexible. We're looking for creative, open-minded back-end software development engineers to to help build technologies that continuously improve the Audible listening experience. While focusing on the Services development, you'll build and scale software, and coordinate cross-functionally, integrating new features, maintaining high performance, and creating intuitive interfaces.
Audible is rapidly growing our scope across engineering and tech, acquisitions, content creation, global access, recording, and streaming capabilities. Together, we'll continue to expand the listening experience and create life-changing technologies on behalf of customers. Our recent innovations include short form Channels (currently in Beta), audio/e-reader synchronization using Whispersync for Voice, and our content production marketplace, ACX. Your role may also involve integration of Audible software with first to market Amazon products like Echo, Alexa, and Kindle Fire.
- You'll have ownership and accountability within our services platform, which includes extensions across concept, design, execution, and support services with a high standards of operational excellence.
- You'll partner with product management to collect data, test, launch software that wows our community, and inspires your peers with quantifiable success.
- You'll explore and self-teach, bringing questions and solutions to the table.
- You'll stay ahead of tools, trends, technologies and the most standard methodologies both industry-wide and within Amazon, sharing your knowledge in a meaningful way that impacts the group.
- You'll employ evidence-based techniques and working-backwards vision for positive social impact.
- You possess proven ability to work on a diverse team.
- Java or equivalent OO language, Unix/Linux environments, knowledge of service development, code optimization, and low-latency computing
- Full-stack development experience (web & services) — please send us links to any side projects
- Strong problem solving skills: adaptable, enthusiastic, and willing to take ownership
- High standards for documentation, unit testing, code reviews, continuous integration & deployment, and a preference for agile methods
- Great communication skills, capacity for creative thinking, and adaptability with audience relays
- Computer Science degree, related credits, or equivalent training
At least one of the following:
- Distributed systems, Amazon Web Services
- Automation — Continuous Integration/Deployment
- Dependency injection frameworks and associated techniques
- Digital encoding and Content Delivery Technologies such as Adaptive Streaming, HLS, HDS, Smooth Streaming, MPEG, AAC & MP3 processing
- Content Management and/or Workflow systems
We have a comprehensive benefits package. Here are some of the fun and meaningful perks we offer:
- Daily catered lunch, Monday breakfast and juice bar, snacks and Friday happy hours
- Free onsite gym and 25% fitness reimbursement
- Seasonal sports clubs - basketball, hockey, soccer, volleyball, softball and more
- Company sponsored events
- Transit reimbursement, paid parking and shuttle service
- Tuition assistance
- Annual Amazon discount
- Meaningful community involvement opportunities including mentoring interns, literacy tutoring and Audible Scholars, along with collaboration on start-up projects incubating in Newark Venture Partners
Audible, Inc. is the world's largest seller and producer of spoken audio entertainment, information and educational programming. Since inventing and commercializing the first portable digital audio player in 1997, our focus on technological innovation and superior programming has earned us millions of subscribers around the world. We're an Amazon subsidiary with a presence on four different continents, yet we maintain a startup vibe and small company feel. We offer more than 350,000 downloadable audiobooks, audio editions of periodicals, and other programs, and an escalating array of listening products that enrich daily life for a growing population of people who want to be more productive, well-informed, and thoughtfully entertained.
Audible is an Equal Opportunity Employer-Minority/ Female/ Disability/ Vet
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top