Software Development Engineer
- Santa Ana, Costa Rica
Come join us in our journey to deliver solutions for one of the most complex domains in Amazon Experience and Technology. We own and deliver technology to compute employee pay, globally, for all of our current and emerging businesses. At core, we are in the business of analytics - real-time and batch-driven - over data collected from IoT devices, usually time clocks. We own our own high-availability authoritative services to support this processing, and require the ability to work from authoritative, replay-able, auditable "truth" for any point in an employee's timeline, since the HR landscape is littered with post-dated and pre-dated changes. Our business rules are complex and arcane, varying by role, business, and jurisdiction. We are solving all of these problems at Amazon scale, an order of magnitude larger than supported by any commodity solutions and growing exponentially.
You should be a passionate, results-oriented, experienced software developer. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment, have a relentless focus on the customer experience and want to build something new rather than just maintain someone else's code, then this role is for you.
Successful candidates will be strong leaders who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivery. The Amazon Experience and Technology business requires creative engineering balanced with high quality and customer focus.
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
• Exhibits excellent judgment
• Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
• Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology
• Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
• Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
• Strong results orientation
• Thinks big
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
• Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
• Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Knowledge of at least one modern programming language, such as C++, Java, C, or C#
• Minimum of 2 years' industry experience as a software development engineer
• Deep hands-on technical expertise
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong business and technical vision
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
• Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top