Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
The Amazon Web Services' (AWS) Event Technology team is looking for a Software Development Engineer (SDE) with a passion for working on cutting edge technology, obsesses over bar raising experiences for customers, and thrives on the challenge of building something new that will operate at world-wide scale to join our fast paced team. In this role, you will be responsible for implementing modern, creative, and innovative data experiences across a breadth of customer facing web apps, our data warehouse for reporting, and integration with third party applications.
If you are passionate about building state-of-the-art web applications and services that focus on simplicity, innovation, performance, consider applying for this role! Your work will have high visibility across AWS internally, and the global AWS community of developers and users.
What you will work on: The Events Technology team is building a new platform entirely on cutting edge AWS services - including CloudFront, API Gateway, Lambda, GraphQL, SQS, DynamoDB and more, with state-of-the-art open source front end frameworks, libraries, and toolchains to deliver a set of highly scalable, performant, serverless, and responsive webapps for our global events organization. Your work will have high visibility across the AWS team and global AWS community of developers and users.
What we are looking for: We are looking for a talented Software Development Engineer that will contribute to both backend services and front end UIs. You will write and review technical designs with the team incorporating feedback to evolve the designs. You will build services and UIs that meet the requirements, are secure, performant, and scalable. You will help drive the code and team towards high standards and best practices. You will also help identify and fix bugs, and ensure that your code is operationally complete.
You are a person with a commitment to team work, who enjoys working on cutting edge technology in a fast-paced environment, is customer centric, and thrives on the challenge of building something new that will operate at world-wide scale.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work.
• 3+ years of professional software development experience
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
• Demonstrated strength in full stack development
• Proven success in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe technical decisions and technical strategy
• Track record delivering large customer features in complex or ambiguous problem areas
• Experience working with AWS technologies (EMR, Redshift, S3, Glue, Athena, Kinesis and Lambda)
• Thinks in terms of architecture as well as code. Able to evaluate end-to-end designs for strengths and weaknesses (e.g., complexity, quality, scalability, latency, security, performance, data integrity, etc.)
• Experience mentoring/training the engineering community on complex technical issues
• Understands software engineering best practices (e.g. automated pipelines, Operational Excellence, Information Security)
• Experience with deployments and dev ops
• Experience with application integration via APIs/REST
• Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers on best practices
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
Back to top