Software Development Engineer - CloudWatch
- Seattle, WA
Come change the way the world sees the Cloud!
Amazon CloudWatch gives customers actionable visibility into the health of their applications and services. Today we run one of the largest time-series data stores on the planet and teams in CloudWatch solve problems of massive metric ingestion, distributed systems/cloud computing, data visualization, log processing and analytics, anomaly detection, and predictive analytics. Our services are the "eyes and ears" for customers everywhere, both inside Amazon along with AWS customers across the world.
We are looking for software development engineers that are passionate about creating application software that underpins the robust CloudWatch system. On any given day, we use Python, Java, GoLang, SQL, Lambda, DynamoDB, and CloudFormation, as well as other public AWS services and a host of Amazon-internal tools. We don't expect you to be an expert in, or necessarily even be familiar with, all of the technologies listed above, but we do expect you to be excited to learn about them!
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. We are partnered with a team of mostly mid-level engineers who enjoy helping new engineers grow through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We take code reviews seriously. We believe that good code reviews raise our code quality, grow our technical acumen, and provide opportunities to support and share knowledge with each other.
We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a more well-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Our team is family-oriented and values work-life balance. Most days, our team is located in our northern VA office, but we're also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 4pm. About half of us come in earlier and the other half of us stay later.
We are looking for new team members who are enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, and reliable; someone who will help us build the positive team culture we've been cultivating.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Proficient in Java or GoLang or both (but don't worry, we'll train you if you meet the basic qualifications)
• Administrative knowledge in Linux and/or Windows
• Hands on working experience with containers
• Experience with open source software development
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Experience with Agile engineering practices (continuous integration, continuous release, etc.)
Back to top