Software Development Engineer
- Cape Town, South Africa
Are you interested in using Data Science to gain insights used to improve customer experience? Are you excited about working with massive data sets and writing highly scalable code to achieve this?
We are looking for someone like you to join our team. The EC2 API Dynamics team uses Data Science to gain insight and drive improvements to the client experience, performance and reliability of the client facing EC2 APIs. We use data to identify trends and anomalies which helps drive strategic direction. In addition, our analysis toolbox gives teams insights on how to enhance and optimise their services to improve the API experience.
As a Software Engineer with experience in applied statistics and machine learning, you will have the opportunity to shape and build our services. You will be involved in all aspects of building these services including gathering the necessary data, exploring what interesting insights we can gain from it and identifying and implementing the statistical and/or machine learning algorithms to achieve this. You can expect to do lots of hands-on coding to both gather the required data and implement and apply data science algorithms and techniques, all of which needs to work at the incredible scale required by EC2. We use a variety of technologies and tools including Amazon SageMaker, Python and Jupyter notebooks.
Amazon Elastic Cloud Compute (EC2) provides on-demand computing power and also underpins many other AWS's cloud services. We operate at a massive scale with data centres spread across the globe.
• Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent working experience
• 3+ years of industry experience in a software development environment
• Strong Computer Science fundamentals, including data structures, object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
• Development experience in a Linux environment
• Experience in building highly available and scalable systems
• Knowledge of system performance methodologies along with hands on empirical monitoring
• Strong desire to build, sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
• Excellent written communication and verbal agility
• Demonstrated capability for innovation
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.
Back to top