Software Development Engineer
- El Segundo, CA
Passionate about building services that fundamentally change the way Amazonians are able to assist our customers? Come join our team that is building a set of services on AWS that help streamline communication channels within the AWS world-wide sales organization to get AWS customers the specific service-level knowledge they are seeking. This service stack enables Amazonians all over the world to get help and expertise as it relates to the hundreds of AWS services that are expanding every day.
We are looking for software engineers who are both passionate and skilled at working on distributed cloud-scale systems. As part of this team, you will be responsible for helping to design and build the systems that together powers our service. You will have the opportunity to work on the development of the end-to-end experience of this service. Roles include working on back-end API development, security and identity, serverless distributed systems, NoSQL data storage, complex event orchestration and automation, real-time data processing, and infrastructure automation. In addition, we face all the usual scale, availability, latency, and co-ordination challenges of running a cloud-scale service.
You will help our team solve problems such as:
• Design and implement fault-tolerant systems and services that run at large scale and ensure high availability guarantees
• Dive into complex architectures, research and identify new technology that can help optimize performance
• Design and implement systems that will help our service achieve 3x the current scale within a year
• Design and implement software that will help minimize outages and improve the availability of our service
Great candidates for this position possess a strong understanding of computer science and a passion to learn new technologies to solve complex problems. You will have the opportunity to apply this passion by leveraging your technical skills in areas such as algorithms, distributed systems, web development, front-end/back-end design, and more. As a member of our engineering team, you will ultimately have the opportunity to not only work and learn from others, but also an opportunity to drive the direction of our product and become a technical leader in our greater organization.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Work Life Balance
Our team puts a high value on work-live harmony. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for two weeks every other month. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Come join us as we continue to build a cloud-scale service designed to delight customers!
• 3+ years of non-internship professional software development experience with at least one modern language such as Java, Kotlin, NodeJS, or Go
• Knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals (object-oriented design, algorithm design, data structures, problem solving, and complexity analysis)
• Candidates must have experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
• Proficiency in the DevOps style of software deployment (infrastructure-as-code)
• Proficiency in developing software in a cloud-native environment
• Knowledge of Application Security principles and how they impact development and deployment of applications.
• Experience designing and building maintainable code artifacts
• Experience with Cloud Operational Excellence practices
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.
Back to top