The AWS Hardware Engineering team is driving rapid innovation in the server and storage infrastructure used by Amazon Web Services. Our designs are industry-leading in frugality and operational excellence, and are critical to the success of the AWS business and the more than one million customers who use AWS today. Our Firmware Engineers solve challenging technology problems, and build architecturally sound, high-quality components to enable AWS to realize critical business strategies.
As a member of the SSD Firmware Engineering team you will be responsible for the design of our SSD firmware platforms. You will interact with engineers across the company as well as external companies and lead firmware development efforts on custom solid-state devices from concept to production including design, development, validation, and the successful implementation and operation of your work at large scale. The ideal candidate for this role will be an innovative self-starter. You will be an SSD firmware expert with experience in making architectural tradeoffs to optimize SSD firmware platforms for a variety of use cases. AWS Engineers are shaping the way people use computers and designing the future of cloud computing technology come help us make history!
What you will do: You will be a member of a team designing AWS-specific hardware, firmware and software for non-volatile memory devices, including NAND-based SSDs. You will be a part of the firmware effort from conception, through validation and into production. You will contribute to FW development and support device characterization and benchmarking efforts. You will work closely with AWS software engineers to tailor devices for the AWS environment.
Why it matters: Public cloud IT services represent the majority of growth in the overall IT services market and will continue to do so for several years to come. The scale of AWS, combined with an understanding of how our hardware is used, creates a unique opportunity for component customizations that will directly benefit our customers.
Why you will love it: You will work with engineers across the company to build next-generation devices. You will have a direct impact on our bottom line and the ability to deliver improvements for our developers. You will be part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team. You will have ownership for the implementation of your work. You will see direct product improvements based on the results of your work.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer or Electrical Engineering or related field, or equivalent experience
• 5+ years of experience in software design and development for embedded systems
• Master's degree or higher in Computer or Electrical Engineering, or related field
• Able to work in a diverse team
• Strong working knowledge of SSD hardware architecture and associated peripherals and interfaces e.g., SDRAM, PCIe, NAND, I2C, SPI and UART
• 7+ years of hands-on experience developing board support package for SSD and other related storage devices
• Hands-on experience on board bringup and working with HW team on new board design
• An understanding of AWS technologies (aws.amazon.com)
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.