Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Alexa focuses on bringing delightful, voice-activated experiences to Amazon customers. As part of the Alexa Education team, you will have the opportunity to work on a product that can fundamentally improve customer's lives in incredibly powerful ways across a multitude of devices. As part of an exciting new domain, you will have the opportunity for grass-roots innovation as we shape how Alexa can help students manage their everyday lives and accelerate their learning and development. In addition to answering such questions as, "Alexa, what homework do I have due this week?", "Alexa, what did Hannah do in school today?", or "Alexa, what was Jack's score on his math test?", we envision a transformative voice experience where Alexa engages with customers in novel ways to support the learning process.
The Alexa team is looking for a software development engineer to deliver on its vision for delivering voice-first experiences to customers. As part of our start-up team, you will solve technical challenges across a wide range of disciplines to deliver our product roadmap. You will build new services and experiences from ground up, delivering new Alexa features used daily by customers.
To be successful in this role, you will need to be self-motivated and customer-focused with a good instinct for developing software services that scale. You should be comfortable with taking an iterative approach to building software, which requires experimenting, understanding results, and making rapid iterations to consistently improve the customer experience. You must be a focused, thoughtful team player who works effectively with external and internal partners. Lastly, you will need a passion for Alexa and desire to bring to life her endless possibilities for customers.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
• Experience in exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs
• Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
• Development experience defining, developing and maintaining REST based interface
• Knowledge of software engineering best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Demonstrated ability to work within an engineering environment to drive operational excellence and best practices
• Experience developing an Alexa experience or knowledge of Alexa
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top