Software Development Engineer
- Palo Alto, CA
Whenever a customer visits an Amazon site worldwide and types in a query or browses through product categories, Amazon Product Search services go to work. Our Amazon Search team processes billions of queries and products on Amazon sites worldwide. We work to maximize the quality and effectiveness of the search experience for visitors across all Amazon categories (Fashion, Digital Music, Amazon Instant Video, etc.). Our Query Understanding team works to maximize the quality and effectiveness of the search experience for visitors to Amazon websites worldwide.
The Query Understanding Modeling team is responsible for developing and deploying state of the art machine learning and NLP models to extract semantic information on product search queries issued by millions of Amazon customers each day.
As a member of the Query Understanding Modeling team, you will:
-Define, design and implement key initiatives in the Query -Understanding area such as semantic parsing framework, query classification, query rewriting, unified knowledge base, null results recovery.
-Work closely with other applied scientists, engineers, engineering and product managers to understand the current state of the system and drive new enhancements to the system.
-Use statistical and machine learning techniques to create scalable text understanding systems
-Build a robust, scalable and an extensible platform which supports large scale data analyses, model development, training, validation and implementation
-Estimate engineering effort, identify dependencies, plan implementation, roll outs, provide updates and work with partner teams on initiatives
You will love this role because you will:
-Work on a world-class Query Understanding service that handles billions of requests per day and is an important component of Amazon Product Search
-Learn state of the art in terms of AWS and NLP/ML technology and figure out creative ways to make these work at production scale.
-Gain exposure to the workings of the largest e-commerce search engine and an opportunity to work with a dynamic team to define and develop innovative solutions that will have a direct impact on Amazon product search.
-Work with large data sets to analyze and improve the search experience using various AWS technologies.
Have access to Amazon's vast technical resources to get the job done.
At Amazon product search team, you'll experience the benefits of working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, while leveraging the resources of Amazon.com (AMZN), one of the world's leading internet companies. We provide a highly customer-centric, team-oriented environment in our offices located in Palo Alto, California.
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
• Candidates must have a Bachelor in Computer Science Engineering or related field.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Possess an extremely sound understanding of areas in the basic areas of Computer Science such as Algorithms, Data Structures, Object Oriented Design, Databases.
• Be able to write Amazon quality code in an object oriented language - preferably in C/C++/Java in a Linux environment.
• Candidate must have good written and oral communication skills, be a fast learner and have the ability to adapt quickly to a fast-paced development environment.
• Master Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
• 2+ years professional experience in software development
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
• Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
• Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, or Perl
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
Back to top