Software Development Engineer- Big Data, AWS Athena
- Seattle, WA
Data is everywhere and customers need to efficiently query and analyze petabytes of data interactively and fast is growing every year. Amazon Athena makes it all possible so everywhere can get insights in seconds.
We work at the core of what makes a query engine tick, developing new capabilities from the ground up that and doing it in the most performant and cost effective way while being exceptionally easy to use. We are a small, entrepreneurial team that operates independently, but with access to some of the top engineers in our field across AWS.
You are passionate about technology and computer science and want to go deep in areas like distributed systems, query engines, performance optimization, and operational excellence. You'll also have the opportunity to work with and contribute to the leading open source big data and analytic frameworks like Hive, Spark, and Presto. You will enjoy competitive compensation and your contributions in this role will impact customers and businesses around the world.
As a senior leader, you'll be responsible for designing, developing, testing and deploying some of our most strategic technical projects. You'll deliver large-scale, high performance production systems, design new software systems at the cutting edge of distributed technology, and have a significant bottom-line impact on our business results. You will draw from your technical expertise to mentor engineers, complete hands-on technical work and provide leadership on complex technical issues.
This is a senior engineering role and you'll have the opportunity to help shape our product roadmap and business direction and work and consult with principal engineers who are world-class experts in the field. You will be expected to deliver at a high level against ambiguous problems with minimal technical supervision. You will work directly with senior managers, principal engineers, and peer teams.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent with 3+ years of experience OR Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent with 5+ years experience, in: software development, including design, implementation, debugging, and support
• Deep understanding of distributed systems and web services technology
• Strong at applying data structures, algorithms, and object oriented design, to solve challenging problems
• Knowledge of one or more modern programming languages such as C/, C#, Java
• Passion and ability to debug, troubleshoot, and resolve highly complex performance and operational issues
• Experience with serverless, big data, ETL technologies at scale.
• Experience taking projects from scoping requirements through V1 launch and V2 iterations.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Experience with highly distributed systems.
• Proficiency with open source technologies such as Presto, Hive, Apache Spark, or Apache Impala.
• Experience in production-scale software development.
• Familiarity with JDBC/ODBC, SQL query processing, and distributed query engines
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top