Software Development Engineer
Want to help invent a fun new experience that empowers customers to create, discover and share ideas visually on Amazon? We're in the early days of developing a novel community-based shopping experience that has broad appeal. (see: http://amazon.com/stream/). We need smart and creative engineers to imagine and develop an exciting new shopping experience on Amazon.
Amazon's current shopping experience is optimized for utilitarian shopping. This works well when customers have something specific in mind, but customers who aren't seeking anything in particular or can't express in words what they're looking for aren't always well served. For example, a customer shopping for something novel and cool to buy may prefer to explore in order to find something they love. We aim to build a simple, addictive, fun and beautiful shopping experience for window-shopping where personal identity, serendipity, and impulse are central.
On a day-to-day basis, you'll be part of a small, close-knit team of engineers that are agile, data driven, and highly collaborative. You'll help analyze customer behavior, propose ideas and solutions during sprint planning with your team, implement big ideas, and then measure the results. Engineers on our team have proposed ideas that have impacted millions of customers and generated millions of dollars in revenue. Outside of work, we have weekly team social events and we regularly get out of the office (rain or shine) to clear our heads and have some fun in Seattle as a team.
You should be a well-rounded software engineer, with expertise in building web applications and UI features optimized for performance. You should love creating things and take personal pride in building beautiful and functional user interfaces.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
- Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java
- You are innovative, creative, flexible and self-motivated, with the ability to design and write high-performance, reliable, and maintainable code
- You have a strong background in an object-oriented language such as Java and experience building large scale web applications
- Strong desire to improve our customers shopping experience
- Experience with Scrum or Agile development a plus
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements, development, experimentation, launch and measurement of the project
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
- Experience with foreign languages is a plus
- Strong background in web development fundamentals / up to date on current trends, tools and best practices
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top