We are part of Amazon's Consumer Engagement organization and own all the long-term financial impact metrics for Amazon. that are generated by applying AI and Machine Learning techniques to big data at Amazon scale. Our mission is to create the best measure of customer long-term value for driving optimal decisions across Amazon.
We are responsible for the production, processing, and analysis of several TB's of customer grain data on a daily basis. We analyze data coming from various traffic channels such search, social, email, associates, digital platforms like video and music, Alexa, and 3P subsidiaries. We heavily use AWS services for security, identity and compliance (IAM, KMS), networking (Route53, VPC, ELB, API Gateway), storage (S3, DynamoDB, ElasticCache, RedShift), management & governance (CloudWatch, AWS Config, CloudFormation), Compute (EC2, Lambda, ECS), Application integration (SQS, SNS, Step functions), and Analytics (Athena, ElasticSearch, Kinesis, EMR - Hadoop/Spark, Data Pipeline). We build high performance distributed systems that automate human processes (data processing/modeling/scoring pipelines, self serve reporting and insights tools), influence content presented to individual customers across Amazon. on high traffic Gateway, Browse, Search and Checkout pages, and accelerate Amazon in achieving hyper-personalized, real-time contextual automated marketing using AI and machine learning.
Our team works at the intersection of Engineering, Data Science, and Statistics with a diverse and unique mix of talent (Engineers, Data /BI Engineers, Economists, Applied Scientists, Research Scientists, Product Managers) collaborating each day to invent and implement cutting edge research solutions for Amazon's benefit.
About the Job
You will be part of a team of talented engineers and collaborate with software engineers, research scientists, economists, product managers, and marketing managers across teams to build and operate distributed systems at Amazon scale. You will work backwards from a customer problem to engineer technically excellent systems that are highly secure, reliable, available, and operationally stable. You will design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software while managing individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables. You will not only review and optimize your code/design but also of your peers; and often work with Senior engineers to make pragmatic trade-offs that improves underlying platform while insisting on highest standards. You are technically fearless and rely on invention while solving hard problems. Additionally, you should have a passion for machine learning, big data processing and analytics; and familiarity with the concepts and typical software architectures employed by modern recommenders. You are expected to be able to coach junior engineers/interns and participate in technical design. Experience with mainstream and open source technologies, such as Spark, Scala, Hadoop, Java, Python, Web Services, AWS DynamoDb/S3/SWF/SQS/Lambda, GNU/Linux and development experience of web based, distributed systems in general is highly desirable for this position.
The ideal candidate for our team is a thinker and a doer: someone who loves sophisticated algorithms and mathematical precision, but at the same time enjoys implementing real systems, learning and teaching world class peer scientists and engineers, and is motivated by the prospect of spectacular business returns.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or similar technical field, or equivalent work experience.
• 2 years of experience delivering production quality software, building customer and developer facing products and services; ideally with hands-on architectural or distributed systems experience.
• Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages. High level proficiency in at least one modern programming language (Scala, Java, C/C++, C#).
• Must be skilled in Computer Science fundamentals such as object-oriented design, algorithm design, data structures, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
• Experience working in a complex, service oriented software development.
• Ideal candidates must be innovative, creative, flexible and self-motivated, with the ability to design and write high-performance, reliable, and maintainable code.
• Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English.
• Masters Degree/PhD in Computer science/Math or related field
• Ideal candidates must have experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
• Exposure to real world machine learning, big data processing, and analytics systems.
• Familiarity with various AWS technologies (S3, DynamoDb, Kinesis, EMR, Cloudformation, Sagemaker, SNS/SQS) and related architecture patterns.
• Deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping great software on time in a fast paced environment.
• Experience defining mathematical models to address optimization using a fitness based approach focused on delivering solutions.
Strong customer focus, ownership, and bias for action.
• Most of all: enthusiasm, creativity, and inventiveness! You will be asked to find new ways to solve challenging problems every day.
• Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.