Software Development Engineer
Amazon is investing heavily in building a world class advertising business and we are responsible for defining and delivering a collection of self-service performance advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our products are strategically important to our Retail and Marketplace businesses driving long term growth. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and are breaking fresh ground to create world-class products. We are highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
Sponsored Products helps merchants, retail vendors, and brand owners succeed via native advertising that grows incremental sales of their products sold through Amazon. The Sponsored Products Ad Marketplace team optimizes the systems and ad placements to match demand with supply using a combination of machine learning, big data analytics, ultra-low latency high-volume engineering systems, and quantitative product focus. Our goals are to help buyers discover new products they love, be the most efficient way for Advertisers to meet their business objectives and continue to build a big, sustainable business that helps Amazon continuously innovate on behalf of all customers.
We're looking for innovative and customer-obsessed professionals who can help us take our products to the next level. We embrace leaders with a startup mentality -- those who seek a disruptive yet clear mission and purpose, have an unambiguous owner mindset, and are relentlessly obsessed with making connections with customers.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will build web services which handle massive throughput under tight latency constraints. You will use algorithmic optimization and profiling techniques to meet performance and resource constraints including optimization of runtime machine learning models. Availability of the ad server is also very high priority, so you will help scale and harden the service to ensure maximal uptime. This job is perfect for those seeking the chance to collaborate with a broad community of analysts/researchers while staying firmly rooted in the engineer world. You will need to give feedback on what is feasible and help chart the future direction of our ad server.
- Highly analytical: You solve problems in ways that can be backed up with verifiable data. You focus on driving processes, tools, and statistical methods which support rational decision-making.
- Technically fearless: You aren't satisfied by performing 'as expected' and push the limits past conventional boundaries. Your dial goes to '11'.
- Team obsessed: You help grow your team members to achieve outstanding results. You foster the creative atmosphere to let engineers innovate, while holding them accountable for making smart decisions and delivering results.
- Humbitious: You're ambitious, yet humble. You recognize that there's always opportunity for improvement and use introspection and feedback from teammates and peers to raise the bar for your team.
- Engaged by ambiguity: You're able to explore new problem spaces with unique constraints and thus non-obvious solutions; you're quick to identify any gaps in the team and the right person to fill them to best deliver value to customers.
- You will:
- Own technical vision and direction: You identify problems and develop solutions; you embrace performance metrics and measurement techniques because they help you assess how well system-related services are running.
- Build and grow your team: You'll be a key contributor on an engineering team that delivers results. This means you'll wear a lot of hats -- from software design, implementation, project management, operations, working with business partners, and so on. You'll be an example of Amazon's leadership principles and work to grow more leaders within your group.
- Collaborate on product direction: You'll build and maintain strong relationships between engineering and partner disciplines (Product, User Experience, QA) to ensure that we're focused on delivering the right product for customers.
- Lead beyond your team: You will be a key part of a small but growing community of engineering leaders who support their teams and contribute to the overall growth of our product development organization. You'll share your experience and technical acumen in order to drive technology decisions across our organization.
- Own your own shop: Our products reach hundreds of millions of customers around the world. We run operations 24x7x365 and the services your team delivers must meet high standards for operational excellence. Our teams own and operate the systems we build.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or related technical discipline
- Object-oriented design skills with understanding of common design paradigms
- Coding skills (Java or C/C++ preferably on a UNIX or Linux platform), Knowledge of Perl or other scripting languages a plus
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
- Experience writing unit and system level tests using dependency injection frameworks and object mocking
- Strong, object-oriented design and coding skills (Java or C/C++ preferably on a UNIX or Linux platform)
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
- Willingness to own all stages of development process: requirements, design, implementation, testing, and operational support
- Experience in text data mining (Solr, Lucene) or machine learning (word vectors) or map/reduce techniques
- Experience in ad targeting and serving or search related infrastructure
- Excellent interpersonal communication with strong verbal / written English skills
- Advanced Computer Science/Computer Engineering degree MS/PhD (or related technical discipline)
Amazon is an equal opportunity employer
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top