Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Would you like to work on one of the world's largest transactional distributed systems? How about working with customers and peers from the entire range of Amazon's business on cool new features? Whether you're passionate about building highly scalable and reliable systems or a software developer who likes to solve business problems, Tax Services is the place for you.
We are responsible for the tax calculation platform, we provide the core services that calculate the accurate amount of transactional taxes (sales tax and VAT) on Amazon. We thrive on providing the correct tax amounts to the customer at order time, and make sure audit records are stored safely to meet tax law requirements around the globe. Our challenges include staying on top of the complex and ever-changing global tax rates and laws as well as computing calculations correctly and quickly, thousands of times a second, and each one needs to be right.
We are looking for software engineers who thrive on complex problems and relish the challenge of operating complex and mission critical systems under extreme loads. Our systems do billions of calculations taking 1000s of inputs, and respond within few tens of milliseconds. Do you think you are up to the challenge? Or would you like to learn more and stretch your skills and career?
The successful candidate is expected to contribute to all parts of the software development and deployment lifecycle, including design, development, documentation, testing and operations. They must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, be self-driven and deliver high quality results in a fast paced environment. They need to really enjoy working closely with their peers in a group of very smart and talented engineers.
We're looking for people who are smart and can get things done, though the following skill sets provide a good foundation for a quick ramp up to being productive in our Java, Linux and AWS-based environment. We're looking for experienced fearless technical leaders who can evolve the tax engine in ever changing worldwide tax legislation.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• 8+ years professional experience in software development
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
• Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
• Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, or Perl
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top