Software Development Engineer
- Herndon, VA
Amazon Web Services (AWS) Virtual Private Network (VPN) team is looking for a Software Developer.
Although we use Java, developers with C++ and C# are welcome to apply. Amazon looks for object orientated developers with a team mentality and a top customer focus.
At Amazon Web Services, we like to "work backwards". We start by understanding what customers need and using that to guide our software engineering. We're looking for software engineers passionate and experienced in listening to customers, synthesizing their needs, and rapidly iterating our services to quickly put features into customers' hands. Our best ideas become even better when we get feedback from real customer use. The sooner we can get that feedback, the more quickly we can grow.
Customers using AWS Site-to-Site VPN establish secure connections between their existing IT infrastructure and the AWS cloud, enabling seamless integration and inter-operation of the two infrastructures. We listen closely to what customers tell us they need in networking services and work to deliver. Whether it's an improvement to an existing feature, a radically new idea, or something in between, we have consistently executed to deliver on these ideas.
Amazon has a fast-paced environment where we "Work Hard, Have Fun, Make History." On a "typical" day, software engineers might whip up a prototype to prove or disprove an idea, instrument code to report a new metric, talk with customers, code up a feature, or draft a proposal for a radical new idea.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
• 3+ years professional experience in software development
• Strong knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Knowledge of, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, Perl, Scala or Ruby
• Experience with Linux
• Experience developing complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to custom
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
• Experiencing mentoring junior software development engineers and driving engineering excellence
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top