Come and build innovative services that secure the foundation of our cloud from security threats.
The Physical Situational Awareness Systems team builds and manages services that are used by AWS employees to secure our physical sites. Our services allow our customers to protect AWS locations and preserves the trust that all AWS users have in us. You'll work with other software development engineers every day that are as passionate as you are about building systems that are an essential tool for our customers in keeping AWS sites secure! The services you build are used around the world to secure assets for every single AWS customer!
Our team provides solutions where "can't be done" isn't considered an answer, taking on the impossible and finding creative solutions. You will stretch yourself and grow. You will share your knowledge with others and help others achieve. You'll be empowered to automate away operational efficiencies for both the team and our customers. You will be challenged to solve complex architecture problems with solutions that are extensible and scale, yet always look for ways to further simplify your solutions. You will work with the team on multiple products that are deployed to every AWS region using AWS services in a fully IaC deployment environment where you own everything end to end - design, development, testing, deploying.
You will join a team that values strong intuition, but seek metrics and other data sources to back up their assumptions.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10 am to 4 pm, but schedules vary between team members. We are builder-operators of our services at AWS and have a modest on-call rotation where you'll participate once every 1 2 months.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. The team has a mix of experience levels, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers and managers truly value different perspectives from junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough and constructive code reviews.
We care about your career growth. We assign projects and tasks based on what will help team members develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on complex tasks in the future.
Inclusive and Diverse Culture
Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Yes, we do get to build a cool service, but we also believe a big reason for that is the inclusive and welcoming culture we try to cultivate every day.
We're looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with a diverse team of peers. We want someone who will help us amplify the positive & inclusive team culture we've been building.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
This job can be located in Herndon, VA or Baltimore, MD
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field; and
• 3+ years of experience building successful production software systems
• 3+ years of experience working with professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience developing on Unix/Linux using modern programming languages like Golang, Java, Python, C, and C++.
• Exposure to cloud computing (AWS, Azure, etc)
• Hands-on experience with system design/archicture including any of the following: distributed systems, service oriented architecture (SOA) and n-tiered software architecture
• Domain knowledge of physical security
• Previous experience in a customer service environment
• Proclivity for customer service and improving customer experiences
• Ability to produce UX wireframes and prototypes from customer input
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us .