Software Development Engineer - AWS S3
- Cambridge, United Kingdom
Amazon's Simple Storage Service (S3) provides a key-value interface to an infinitely scalable and durable storage system. We build and run the largest commercial storage system in the world with trillions of objects and regularly serving millions of requests per second.
We are part of the fast growing S3 team in Cambridge, UK that owns the S3 Select API and are looking for engineers to join us in expanding the service. Our customers have more data every day and need tools to work with that data more efficiently. S3 Select is the first service for scanning and filtering cloud data close to where it is stored, running a SQL query over an object in S3, and returning only the matching data. Using S3 Select, customers can offload filtering to S3 so their big data analytics workloads can continue to scale.
As a new feature in S3, we work closely with our customers to understand their needs and build the capabilities they are looking for in S3 Select. This work spans a broad range from contributions in open source projects like Hive, Presto, and Spark all the way to new features and optimizations within S3 Select itself.
Ownership is central to everything we deliver at Amazon. You will own the entire lifecycle of your work from design to implementation, testing, and operations. We strive to build a collaborative work environment that lets you both broaden your impact and grow with the support of mentors and senior engineers on the team.
Creating a reliable, scalable, and flexible web service requires a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. You should be somebody who enjoys working on complex system software, is customer-centric, and feels strongly not only about building great software but about making that software achieve its goals in operational reality. Join us and help solve a challenging set of problems in a space packed full of opportunities.
Key responsibilities include:
• Writing quality, reusable code for highly scalable and reliable cloud-based services
• Working closely with product and development management to architect the service
• Being a champion for operational excellence by Insisting on the Highest Standards
• Writing code that continuously improves service reliability and availability
• Providing on-call product support approximately once every two months
• Having fun working on ground breaking technology with people just as passionate about their work as you!
We at AWS value individual expression, respect different opinions, and work together to create a culture where each of us is able to contribute fully. Our unique backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our ability to achieve Amazon's mission of being Earth's most customer-centric company.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) experience
• Several years experience of developing production software systems
• Advanced software engineering skills, including the ability to write expert-level, maintainable, and robust code in C++, Java, or other core object-oriented languages
• Demonstrated experience of taking product requirements and developing software architectures and designs and bringing them to life
• Proficiency in computer science fundamentals data structures, algorithms and OO design
• Proven ability to work effectively on shared projects with designers, testers, and other developers
• Experience with big data and massively-scaled distributed computing
• Demonstrated strong technical judgment with a customer focus
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
• Experience with software development in a Linux environment
• MS/PhD Degree in Computer Science
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
Back to top