Managing trillions of objects in storage, retrieving them in sub-x ms, building software that deploys to tens of thousands of hosts, achieving 99.999999999% (you didn't read that wrong, that's 11 nines!) durability. These are just a few of the numbers that give you a sense of the scale of the exciting problems you will find every day working in Simple Storage Service (S3). Amazon S3 powers businesses across the globe that make the lives of consumers better daily. Whether its electronic content delivered to your home, technology that betters your remote working experience, allows you to plan travel to exotic places or simply get stuff delivered to your home. As a Software Development Engineer in S3, you get to deliver these capabilities and delight our customers through teams of talented engineers and leaders.
Storage Insights is looking for a Software Development Engineer for our team in Seattle, WA. Our mission is to help customers understand 'what' they have, 'how' their is being used, and the 'actions' they can take on their via insights and analytics. In S3 we manage trillions of objects and process millions of requests per second. Storage Insights provides customers with data aggregated by unique key, S3 bucket level, or based on prefixes or tags. You will focus on the challenges of writing software to handle aggregating every event in S3 efficiently and accurately. As a member of the team you will be responsible for leading the development and launch of core product features. You will have significant influence on our overall strategy by helping define these products, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product.
Our team works together to provide work/life balance for all team members. We recognize that the circumstances of our team members vary, and we balance work across the team so that we're all able to maintain standards on behalf of our customers, while at the same time allowing for rich and happy personal lives.
In AWS, if you build it, you own it. S3 is a highly available 7x24 worldwide service requiring dedicated support from our engineering teams. We pride ourselves on a high level of ownership in the work we do. This means we hold a high bar for test automation, verification processes, and code reviews to ensure that our meet the exacting standards our customers demand. We maintain a regular on-call rotation across our teams with engineers and managers all taking part to resolve the inevitable issues that arise. We work hard to minimize getting paged in the middle of the night as we recognize that a well-rested employee is a productive employee.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Upon joining S3, every employee is paired with a peer buddy who will help you to quickly come up to speed in understanding the technology we're building, the tools we use and the business problems we're trying to solve. We hire exceptional people and we recognize the importance of coaching others. We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, and job level. On our internal "Broadcast" video streaming website, you'll find countless presentations by some of the brightest minds in computing discussing solutions to many of the exciting problems we're solving in AWS today with new live-streaming videos added every week.
Inclusive Team Culture
We have a diverse team and drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Our team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network (BEN), Amazon Women in Engineering (AWE) and Glamazon (our LGBTQ+ community).
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Graduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
• 1+ years of experience developing in a Linux environment
• Experience debugging, troubleshooting, and problem solving skills
• Experience with Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design and analysis
• Deep understanding of scalable computing systems, software architecture, data structures and algorithms
• Possess a passion for technical leadership and mentoring
• Experience in Agile/SCRUM enterprise-scale software development
• Strong desire to build, sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
• Possess strong analytical skills, with excellent problem solving abilities in the face of ambiguity
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation