This team growing in Boston, Chicago, Seattle and open to East Palo and select remote cities on a case by case basis
Are you interested in building net-generation hyper-scale database services in the cloud? Are you interested in revolutionizing database architecture for the cloud? Amazon Redshift is rapidly growing, fast and powerful, fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse service in the cloud. It enables customers to dramatically increase their query performance when analyzing virtually any size data set using the same SQL-based business intelligence tools they use today. They can launch a fully operational service with a few clicks for as low as under $1000 per terabyte per year. Amazon Redshift manages all the work needed to set up, operate, and scale a data warehouse, from provisioning capacity and installing software to monitoring and backing up the cluster, to applying patches and upgrades. By automating these labor-intensive tasks, Amazon Redshift enables customers to spend their time focusing on their data and business insights, rather than on procuring and managing infrastructure.
Joining the Amazon Redshift team gives you the opportunity to:
• Work on a disruptive product that's still in its early stages
• Solve challenging problems that will revolutionize database computing in the cloud
• Build a product that will leverage the scale of resources available in the cloud
• Work for a company that's a recognized leader in the cloud computing space
• Be involved in the fast growing, big data space
We are looking for developers with expertise and passion for building large scale distributed systems. Experience with storage subsystems, scale-out fault-tolerant systems, distributed systems, operating systems, large scale data analytics, and operating complex services running in the cloud are all pluses.
In this role, you will have responsibility for:
• Translating functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
• Coding and testing complex system components
• Participating in code and design reviews to maintain our high development standards
• Working with other teams to deliver and operate large scale, distributed services in the cloud
• Overall system architecture, scalability, reliability, and performance
• Mentoring other engineers, defining our challenging technical culture, and helping to build a fast-growing team
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Strong knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, and complexity analysis
• Good understanding of multi-threaded programming , concurrency, locking and synchronization
• Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience
• 2+ years experience writing large scale systems in C/C++
• Experience debugging, diagnosing, and trouble-shooting complex, production software
• Strong understanding of system performance and scaling
• Experience with database engine internals (storage): IO subsystems, buffer management, logging, recovery, on-disk/in-memory data formats for tables/indexes/projections, access methods, transaction processing
• Experience with database engine internals (query processing): parallel query processing, query optimizations and execution
• Experience with distributed systems: distributed consensus, cache coherence protocols, implementation of scale-out storage systems
• Experience with data technologies: compression, erasure-coding
• Experience with large-scale data analytics
• Academic/Industry research experience with modern database designs
• Masters or PhD in Computer Science
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us