Software Development Engineer - AWS Redshift
- Sydney, Australia
Are you interested in building hyper-scale services in the cloud? Are you interested in embarking the journey of building the next generation database systems and creating an impact on its hundreds of thousands of users? Do you want to work with world-class, state-of-the-art technologies on a fun, diverse, rapidly growing team in sunny Sydney, Australia? Then you want to join the AWS Redshift engineering team in Sydney! Amazon Redshift is a fast, fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse that makes it simple and cost-effective to analyse all your data using your existing business intelligence tools
As a Software Development Engineer with Amazon Redshift in Sydney, you will have the opportunity to invent, and implement system architecture of AWS Redshift at Amazon scale. You will have significant influence on our overall strategy by helping define impactful product features, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product. You will work on the Redshift cloud platform to improve the technologies that orchestrate and manage Redshift clusters globally. You will build out of critical operational functions that ensure thousands of servers across multiple centers worldwide maintain lights on.
The ideal candidate for this role dives into ambiguous problem spaces and meticulously distills out choices, trade-offs, and priorities. This person demonstrates exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. We seek someone who is and metric driven, and is obsessively concerned about performance under resource constrained environments.
This is a unique and rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor within a fast-growing business and help shape the technology, product and the business. A successful candidate will bring deep technical, and coding expertise with the ability to work within a fast moving, startup environment in a large company to deliver a broad business impact.
Come, join us in reinventing database systems for the cloud!
• 8+ years of professional experience in a software environment, developing high quality code.
• Proficient in at least one or more object-oriented programming language: Java, , Ruby, Go, C++ or Kotlin.
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented , structures, algorithm and complexity analysis.
• Built systems that scale through software, owned and defined the architecture and (architecture, patterns and reliability)
• Experience in communicating with peers, technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements & describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
• Have mentored software engineers to help improve their skills, efficiency and productivity.
• Experience in improving process and applying best practices for a whole project/team with solid expertises of software development life cycle; including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong willingness to make a difference.
• Distributed computing and large-scale systems, taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
• Exposure to large-scale distributed storage and database systems (e.g. SQL, NoSQL, Graph Databases)
• Delivered software in an environment that utilises Agile methodologies like SCRUM or Kanban.
• Hand on experience with AWS services such as RDS, EC2, Dynamo DB, CloudWatch.
• Masters in Computer Science or equivalent.
"Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status."
Back to top