Software Development Engineer - AWS RDS Platform
- Vancouver, Canada
The AWS Relational Database Services (RDS) Platform team is seeking expert developers interested in creating the next generation of developer-centric tools and services. In this position, you will be part of the core Platform team that works across the entire organization to discover opportunities to improve on the development lifecycle and velocity for building and running database applications.
The AWS Relational Database Service is one of the fastest-growing AWS businesses, providing super-simple provisioning and management for databases in the cloud. Customers can set up a new database with just a few clicks, and complex administrative tasks like scaling, fail-over, and monitoring are all reliably handled by our control systems. Providing such simplified management for customers comes with the challenge of building sophisticated and reliable control systems. Our group in AWS addresses these challenges by developing services that reflect the latest advances in high availability, data dissemination and replication, load balancing, autonomous management, and repair.
We are looking for Software Development Engineers who will lead Amazon RDS and AWS as a whole to deliver highly scalable and distributed systems and help drive the overall technical architecture for RDS. You will also be responsible for defining the development standards, mentoring junior engineers and hiring for the team. You will work with business and other AWS teams and translate the requirements to technical deliverables and guide the team through the actual launch.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position does involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience
• Masters Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills including frequent communications with customers and executives.
• Entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong program and product management skills.
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Back to top