Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for a Software Development Engineer for the Optical Network Automation team. The engineers within our team are instrumental in to help drive the stability and sustainability of AWS next-generation networks and to discover innovative ways to automate and scale network as AWS expands globally.
The candidate is highly autonomous, very detail oriented, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills and has significant experience of supporting large scale, enterprise class networks. Software Development Engineers work hand-in-hand with other Software Development teams and Networking teams to help automate and invent new ways of operating Amazon's Next-Generation Network. In addition to providing top-tier management and support of Amazon's vast network infrastructure, Software Development Engineers are expected to develop best practices, refine operational procedure and constantly think pro-actively and with innovation.
This position involves substantial coding in a variety of languages, predominantly Python and Java (approximately 70% coding daily). Other technologies utilized in this role include: networking (TCP/IP), AWS, Linux, and scripting (any of: bash, perl, shell, C).
This is an excellent opportunity to join Amazon's world class technical teams, working with some of the best and brightest engineers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies anywhere.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• B.S degree or equivalent experience.
• Experience in any of Java, Perl, Python, Ruby, C/C++.
• Experience with REST, web services and cloud environments.
• Knowledge of major Internet routing protocols, Optical networking experience is advantageous but not compulsory.
• Knowledge of network hardware and packet forwarding architectures.
• Excellent Ethernet and IP networking knowledge and extensive experience in the application of IP protocols.
• Substantial background in large-scale datacenter network implementations and support.
• Experience with software engineering best practices (code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, release and change management).
• Experience analyzing large data sets
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.