Software Development Engineer - AWS Identity & Access
- Seattle, WA
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud provider-from infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databases-to emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. AWS Platform is the glue that holds the AWS ecosystem together. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
AWS Single Sign-On (AWS SSO) is AWS's workforce identity solution. Our internal mantra is "Identities should be able to come from anywhere and customers should be able to use those identities to gain access to anything". We provide customers with the ability to associate a directory with AWS or use our Native User Pool, then the customer can assign access to their AWS Accounts and 3rd Party Business Applications in a central place. In addition, end-users of AWS SSO have a central place where they can view and access all of the things they have been assigned access to with our AWS SSO User Portal.
Our team owns the services and data which enables AWS SSO to federate users into their "things" and our public catalog supports hundreds of integrations and we are actively expanding the types of integrations which we support. Our team solves complex technical problems every day, like how to scale our existing data-store to support new integration types without impacting existing external customers and internal teams and evolving AWS Identity Platform at its core to support a more human-centric identity. We also work on new public standards like FastFed.
Our team is customer focused and we understand the need for learning new things to meet our customer's needs. We actively seek and evaluate learning opportunities and we are always supportive of each other as we all grow. We have a range of talent in the team. Our senior engineers mentor our junior engineers and as our junior engineers grow they start to mentor our new junior engineers.
We strive to be a fun team. Everyone is willing to help. We have one on one ramp up mentorships and our subject matter experts are available and generally nice people. There are weekly/bi-weekly 1:1 opportunities with the manager of the team where we actively mentor on career growth.
You are welcome to work from home occasionally. We see working from home as a useful tool to help with work life balance or just generally focus on something if you're being distracted in the office.
There is a pager rotation for the team, however we do our best to limit the number of customer impacting events. When we do impact our customers we dive into how we can make this never happen again and we take action to fix it. The team usually gets paged once or twice per week for various reasons. If you're up until 2am dealing with a customer impacting event then the team will look to help you get sleep by covering your oncall.
The team values diversity. We are happy to have members representing 6 different countries!
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Learn more about Amazon on our Day 1 Blog: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field (or relevant work experience)
• 5+ years developing software solutions in large scale (over 10,000 users) global environments
• Deep experience in at least one modern programming language such as C, C++, C# or Java and mastery of object-oriented design and programming
• Understanding of web services technologies such as SOAP, REST, etc.
• Flexibility, thinking on your feet, and strong problem solving skills
• Demonstrable track record dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering measurable results in an agile environment
• Master's degree in Computer Science or related field
• Experience developing or integrating federated identity solutions using SAML, OAuth, or OpenID (Microsoft Active Directory Federation Services or similar)
• Understanding of web services technologies such as SOAP, HTTP, WSDL, XSD, and REST.
• Understanding of Identity Systems like LDAP and/or Active Directory
• Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, distributed systems, and asynchronous architectures
• Strong understanding of system and application performance characteristics.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• 2+ years of working with large distributed systems
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top