Software Development Engineer, AWS Game Tech
- Seattle, WA
Come and help us make AWS the best place to create, deliver, and operate games!
Our team, AWS Game Tech, is looking for a software engineer who has a passion for clean code and scalable design. If you are constantly challenging yourself and others to come up with great solutions, have a passion for learning new skills, have a knack for picking up new technologies quickly, and are excited about making a big impact in the game industry, we are looking for you!
Our goal is to make it easier for game developers to build and run their games using cloud technologies, enabling them to bring their ideas to market faster and at a lower cost. We aim to address game development challenges for customers at any scale. Our solutions are used by Indie developers working on mobile games, as well as some of the largest studios building triple-A titles for consoles and PCs.
Amazon is all in on games. We believe, the evolution that began with arcade communities a quarter at a time, growing to the live streams and eSports of today, will continue to a future where everyone is a gamer and every gamer can create, compete, collaborate and connect with others at massive scales. If you share our belief that games will produce some of the future's most influential voices in media and art, come join AWS Game Tech.
• Use core AWS technologies to design and build available, scalable, and secure back-end services and customer-facing APIs.
• Provide input into product vision, technical design, implementation, and operational decisions on an inclusive team.
• Iterate, test new ideas, and shape the future vision for game development tools and services that operate in the cloud and enable world-class connected games.
• Contribute to code reviews and development process improvements.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. Most days, our entire team is co-located in the Seattle office, but we're also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 4pm. About half of us come in earlier and the other half of us stay later.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Inclusive Team Culture
Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. We're looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with a diverse team of peers; someone who will help us amplify the positive & inclusive team culture we've been building.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education.
• 3+ years professional experience in software development.
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
• Knowledge of, at least, one modern programming language such as Java, C#, or C++.
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
• Track record of driving high-impact, architectural design decisions, and solving ambiguous problems.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top