Software Development Engineer - AWS - Fully Virtual
- Flexible / Remote
The AWS Professional Services Customer Engineering (CE) team force-multiplies our largest enterprise customers by developing and delivering production-ready custom software and infrastructure.
We are looking for customer and automation obsessed Software Engineers to join us develop new, challenging cloud-native software and infrastructure that our customers will integrate into their own offerings as well as help convey Amazon development practices to our customers.
The ideal candidate loves to learn and invent. As members of AWS Professional Services we are not stewards of a single service, but of the entire AWS platform and keeping abreast of the ever-widening stream of platform improvements and new service. The candidate should come prepared with an understanding of OO software design and implementation experience, strong knowledge of web protocols, and an in-depth knowledge of Linux/Unix tools and architecture, preferably in Java, Python and/or Node, but also be willing to learn and be curious as necessary. Experience with web-based applications and/or web services-based applications, especially at massive scale and in a DevOps environment, are very applicable and helpful.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
• Implement best practices in modern software engineering: design, implementation, testing, version control, documentation, deployment, monitoring and operations
• Write high quality code that is robust and can be delivered and maintained by customers
• Build flexible systems choosing simple, straightforward solutions over more complex ones
• Possess self-drive to dive deep and maintain progress even in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge (avoid "analysis paralysis")
• Encourage and support knowledge-sharing within team and external groups
• Communicate clearly both verbally and in writing, within team and external groups
• Actively participate in hiring and mentoring the very best
• Obtain/maintain AWS Certifications
• Occasional customer travel (<20%)
• Can potentially work remotely (can live within 2 hours of Amazon/AWS office).
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Learn more about Amazon on our Day 1 Blog: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/
• 5+ years of non-internship professional software development experience with at least one modern language such as Java, Python or Node including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Proficiency in design and analysis of algorithms and data structures that will operate at potentially global scale.
• Proficiency in the DevOps style of software deployment
• Proficiency in developing software in a cloud-native environment
• Knowledge of Application Security principles and how they impact development and deployment of applications.
• Experience handing off and supporting maintainable code artifacts
• Experience in an agile development environment
• Experience with Cloud Operational Excellence practices
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top