AWS AppSync is looking for an experienced Software Development Engineer to help us build and expand our highly-scalable, managed GraphQL service. After launching in 2018, our service has grown rapidly and now serves thousands of developers, including individuals, small startups, and large enterprises. We are looking for engineers who want to build software operating at the cutting edge of the industry to power mobile apps, web sites, and backend applications.
You will work with an exceptional team to solve hard problems and learn new skills. You'll have opportunities to work with and learn from best-in-industry senior engineering talent. In addition to the technical challenges provided by the innovative use cases that we are working on, you will also learn how to build a service that meets AWS's high bar for availability, scalability, and security.
You will be responsible for developing and driving the future direction of the AppSync backend services, along with its console user interface and other developer tools. You'll meet with customers to help understand their use cases and make sure we maintain Amazon's commitment to start from the customer and work backwards. You'll help manage and operate our systems, using best-in-industry continuous-integration-and-deployment tools.
You'll have a direct line to our customers' experience and a direct means to improving it. On a daily basis, you'll work with teammates to review each other's code, mentor and be mentored, and create and implement system designs for the future of AppSync. You'll have an opportunity to lead from day one, from leading projects, to driving technical processes, to selecting programming languages and frameworks, to teaching and learning from your teammates.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• MS Computer Science/Computer Engineering.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operations
• Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets.
• Experience taking a lead role developing complex software systems that have successfully been delivered to customers.
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs and product strategy.
• Appetite and enthusiasm to work with new technologies
• Keen interest in staying current with the latest trends and techniques in the industry
• Strong UX skills and sound knowledge of UX best practices with the ability to incorporate them into solutions
• Solid coding practices including peer code reviews, unit testing, and a preference for agile development
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Eagerness to adopt a lead role in mentoring and developing others
• Exceptional problem solving and troubleshooting skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.