AWS AppSync is looking for an innovative Software Development Engineer to help us build and expand our highly-scalable GraphQL service. After launching in 2018, our service has grown rapidly and now serves thousands of developers, including small startups, and large enterprises.
You will work with an exceptional team to solve hard problems and learn new skills. You'll have opportunities to work with and learn from best-in-industry senior engineering talent. In addition to the technical challenges provided by the innovative use cases that we are working on, you will also learn how to build a service that meets AWS's high bar for availability, scalability, and security.
You will be responsible for developing and driving the future direction of the AppSync backend services, along with its console user interface and other developer tools. You'll meet with customers to help understand their use cases and make sure we maintain Amazon's commitment to start from the customer and work backwards. You'll help manage and operate our systems, using best-in-industry continuous-integration-and-deployment tools.
You'll have a direct line to our customers' experience and a direct means to improving it. On a daily basis, you'll work with teammates to review each other's code, mentor and be mentored, and create and implement system designs for the future of AppSync. You'll have an opportunity to lead from day one, from leading projects, to driving technical processes, to selecting programming languages and frameworks, to teaching and learning from your teammates.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Learn more about Amazon on our Day 1 Blog: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/"
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• MS Computer Science/Computer Engineering.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operations
• Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets.
• Experience taking a lead role developing complex software systems that have successfully been delivered to customers.
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs and product strategy.
• Appetite and enthusiasm to work with new technologies
• Keen interest in staying current with the latest trends and techniques in the industry
• Strong UX skills and sound knowledge of UX best practices with the ability to incorporate them into solutions
• Solid coding practices including peer code reviews, unit testing, and a preference for agile development
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Eagerness to adopt a lead role in mentoring and developing others
• Exceptional problem solving and troubleshooting skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.