Software Development Engineer, Android
- Palo Alto, CA
Are you ready to drive the next generation of shopping innovations at Amazon? When words just aren't enough to describe what customers are looking for, they often turn to other methods such as camera-based search, or using the picture of a celebrity to find inspiration for their fashion purchases. When images aren't enough to convince customers that a piece of furniture will look good, they want to turn to Augmented Reality to envision how that furniture item would match their living room décor.
Starting in 2009, the Visual Search team has thus far launched many visual search solutions on the Amazon App that use computer vision and machine learning/deep learning to help customers complete their shopping missions more easily; multiple internal teams at Amazon (devices, Kindle, Seller services, etc.) also use our libraries and APIs to deliver solutions to their own customers. We are a full stack shop, and our team capabilities cover the whole solution spectrum, ranging across applied science (Computer Vision and Deep Learning), large scale engineering services, product management, UX design, and mobile app development for iOS and Android. However, it's still Day 1, and this is your chance to make history in the new era of shopping.
We are looking for a passionate, hard working, and talented software engineer with experience building mobile applications, especially those with high computational demands and taking advantage of mobile cameras. You will have an enormous opportunity to make a large impact on the design, architecture, and implementation of cutting edge products used every day by millions of people.
As an Android Developer on the team, you'll make major contributions to a rapidly evolving feature using cutting edge technology.
• Design and build new features and improvements in the Amazon Mobile Shopping app for Android platform.
• Work closely with QA, Design and Product Management to build the best possible UX for the platform.
• Perform code reviews, write unit tests, and contribute to architectural planning and refactoring.
• Work on bug fixing and improving application performance.
• Prioritization of your own work with help from your manager.
• Collaborate with backend and computer vision teams responsible for the services and APIs supporting the camera feature.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• 2+ years of Android software development experience
• Experience writing testable code and automating test regressions
• Experience in mobile design patterns (MVP, MVVM, Android ViewModel), building mobile frameworks / SDKs, building custom UX widgets and optimizing apps for performance (Instruments)
• Programming experience with Kotlin
• A thorough understanding of software development agile processes and tools
• Excellent communication skills, sold work ethic, and a strong desire to write production-quality code
• Experience with ARCore
• Experience with Android NDK
Back to top