Software Development Engineer, Amazon Studios
- Santa Monica, CA
Are you interested in shaping the future of movies and television? Do you want to define the next generation of how and what Amazon customers are watching? Prime Video (PV) is one of the leading digital video services on the Internet today, and we're just getting started. We need your passion, innovative ideas, and creativity to help take the service to new heights.
The Amazon Studios team is chartered to produce original content and license studio programs worldwide in service of Amazon's Prime Video customers. The team is responsible for bringing popular TV and movies to their customers and introducing distinctive, critically-claimed award-winning originals like Transparent and Mozart in the Jungle and ground-breaking, popular shows like The Man in the High Castle.
We are looking for a talented Software Development Engineer for the Amazon Studios Product & Technology department who can contribute to our world-class engineering culture. You will:
• Design, implement, test, deploy and maintain innovative software solutions to transform service performance, durability, cost, and security.
• Use software engineering best practices to ensure a high standard of quality for all team deliverables
• Write high quality distributed system software
• Work in a fast-paced, agile, startup-like development environment
You will be encouraged to see the big picture, be innovative, and positively impact millions of customers. This is an evolving business where creativity and drive can make a lasting impact on world-wide consumer entertainment.
Successful candidates for this position will adapt quickly to new development environments and changing business requirements, learn new systems, gain new skills, create reliable & maintainable code, and find creative, scalable solutions to difficult problems.
We are looking for candidates who are passionate about delivering consistently great experiences within a world-class engineering team.
Amazon's vision is to be the world's most consumer-centric company. You will work within a highly specialized team that aims to create the next-generation of studios technology.
In order to meet our customer's high standards we hold each other and ourselves to higher ones. You will work with really smart people, who are fun to be around, and who are always pushing you to learn more. You will be responsible for solving big problems, where answers need to be invented, and roads are not yet paved. You will also be involved in helping to build and direct self-organizing teams.
To be a successful candidate you need to be motivated by putting your customers first; you don't rest until the customer is happy. You need a strong technical background, are detail driven, and have excellent problem-solving skills. You are self-motivated, a constant learner, and always curious about how things work. You are constantly trying to improve processes, solutions, and yourself. You learn from your mistakes, and you love working with really smart people. You need a solid understanding of software fundamentals and an appreciation of how an IT ecosystem functions.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent knowledge and skills and industry experience.
• 3+ years of professional experience developing production systems.
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, Python, Scala, Ruby, etc.
• Experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team, including design reviews, coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Experience taking a lead role in developing complex software systems that have been successfully launched to customers.
• Experience in driving systemic operational improvements.
• Experience working with cross-functional teams including communicating with other technical teams, product management, and senior management.
• Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of the software engineering craft.
• Track record of developing web services or other large-scale distributed systems.
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation/Age. Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top