Software Development Engineer - Amazon Lex
Have you ever wondered what it takes to build intelligence into enterprise systems to enable near human-like communication? Does the thought of designing and modeling highly secure, fault-tolerant systems that scale to thousands of transactions per second (TPS) excite you?
Why Amazon Lex?
Amazon Lex is a platform for building conversational interfaces into any application using voice and text. Amazon Lex provides the advanced deep learning functionalities of automatic speech recognition (ASR) for converting speech to text, and natural language understanding (NLU) to recognize the intent of the text, to enable you to build applications with highly engaging user experiences and lifelike conversational interactions. With Amazon Lex, the same deep learning technologies that power Amazon Alexa are now available to any developer, enabling you to quickly and easily build sophisticated, natural language, conversational bots ("chatbots").
What is special about the team?
Be a part of a well-balanced team with a diverse experience that is making strides in evolving the conversational platform for Amazon Web Services (AWS). The team, a tight-knit group, operates in a fast-paced and fun environment where accuracy, timeliness, quality and security form the operative cornerstones. As owners of the entire lifecycle, team members participate in a shared customer resolution program to delight customers. Additionally, the team has collaborative leaders in various roles - product development, natural language science and engineering management who form the critical support structure for delivering innovative features.
What will I work on?
Come work on new features as well as green-field projects where you can make a significant positive impact on a community of international customers. As a Software Development Engineer, you should have a passion for delivery, drive for excellence and penchant for quality. You will practice development practices such as load testing and continuous deployment while solving technical challenges in system design, distributed computing, algorithms and back-end services.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or a related field (MS or PhD preferred)
- At least 5 years of software engineering experience
- 3+ years of Distributed Systems experience
- Experience with an object oriented language like Java
- Knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, algorithm design, problem solving and complexity analysis
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science
- Experience scaling features and customers on V1 systems
- Good communication skills with both technical and business people. Ability to speak at a level appropriate for the audience.
- Strong architecture and design skills; be able to design, build and lead others to build systems that will be robust in the face of change.
- The ability to lead a team of engineers to solve big problems with significant ambiguity. Ability to work directly with operations and business users to plan projects, track timelines and turn the ambiguous into specific goals and targets.
- Experience developing in a Linux environment
- Experience using modern tools and environments (ex. IntelliJ, Eclipse, Maven, Git)
- Experience with Behavior-Driven/Test-Driven Development, XUnit, Mocking frameworks
- Experience with data analysis in large-scale No-SQL environments (ex. Dynamo DB) is a plus.
- Experience with asynchronous communication architectures involving SNS, SQS, etc. is valued.
- Experience with AWS products like EC2, S3, RDS is beneficial.
- Familiarity with natural language processing and understanding systems.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top