You're looking for an opportunity to have world-changing impact at one of the most innovative companies on Earth. You're excited about open source and want to help design, deliver, and operate a revolutionary new AWS service, Amazon EKS. You are a strong developer with a background in large scale distributed systems, Linux systems development, and/or networking, and are energized by the idea of helping us make AWS the best place to run containers and Kubernetes.
We're a relatively new team of AWS engineers that are building a core set of services to help our customers to run and use Kubernetes and etcd at scale on AWS. CNCF in 2017 found that 60%+ of Kubernetes workloads run on AWS. Given the massive scale and customer demand on Amazon EKS, it is is our goal to contribute upstream to strengthen the design, scale, security and stability of the Kubernetes and etcd projects and ultimately Amazon EKS.
Some things you'll do here
• Collaborate with the community to integrate AWS services with Kubernetes and etcd
• Maintain upstream projects related to Amazon EKS, Kubernetes, and Etcd
• Work with some of the largest etcd users, such as Kubernetes project, to drive etcd to the next level of scale
• Recommend architectural improvements to Kubernetes and Etcd
• Expand upstream test coverage for Kubernetes on AWS and EKS
• Work on large scale problems both on the control plane and data plane
• Incubate revolutionary ideas that benefit Kubernetes and Amazon EKS
• Troubleshoot and fixing bugs reported by customers
• Mentor junior engineers on design and coding best practices
• Represent AWS technical chops in conferences
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or 3+ years of experience
• Experience with Computer Science fundamentals (ex. object-oriented and distributed systems design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis)
• Experience building and operating highly-available services.
• Interest in working with kubernetes and CNCF technologies
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us