Software Development Engineer, Amazon Alexa Identity
- Dublin, Ireland
Do you want to change the world? Alexa and Echo are literally shaping the future of voice recognition and cloud-based content/services. Alexa is the name of the Amazon cloud service and the brain that powers Echo, the award-winning and groundbreaking new Amazon device designed around your voice. Echo connects to Alexa, to provide information, answer questions, play music, read the news, check sports scores or the weather, and more-instantly. It's hands-free, and always on. All you have to do is ask.
To achieve this, we blend of a variety of disciplines (such as NLP, data mining, machine learning, big data, semantic web, graph stores, cloud computing) in an effort to understand our customers and the things they're excited about. To complement our complex algorithms and extensive data analyses, we create elevated and inspirational mobile and web features across the entire Echo system. We use artificial intelligence, data mining and usability studies to develop new features, and we test them through hundreds of R & D experiments a year. We want to make it easy for you to search for your favorite products, discover new brands you'd like, play your favorite songs or even replenish your fridge - and much, much more!! We are also incredibly intent on solving some of the most complex computing problems to be found in industry and academia, and we get to test our solutions in the real world every day. And most importantly, we relentlessly ask: "What haven't we though of yet?"
As a member of the Alexa Identity team, you will enable Alexa to treat people as individuals and manage the preferences and resources they have shared with Alexa. You will help Alexa to recognize individuals and to deliver personalized experiences wherever they are in their day. You will have significant influence on our overall strategy by helping define these features, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product.
The ideal candidate has a demonstrable track record of technical leadership and success in delivering new features and products. A commitment to teamwork, hustle, and strong communication skills (to both business and technical partners) are absolute requirements. Creating reliable, scalable, and high performance products requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. This person has thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality technology products/services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift quickly.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
For Android: Expert knowledge of Java and the JDK and Android Developers Kit. Expert knowledge of Android Architecture, performance optimization, and Security.
For iOS: Expert knowledge of Objective-C and/or Swift. Experience with Xcode and other associated tools.
3+ years in Software Development with at least 3 years developing multi-threaded mobile applications
Firm understanding of software development principles, capabilities and limitations of mobile platforms (iOS and Android).
Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly
Demonstrated experience and passion for delivering exceptional User Experience
• Master's degree in CS or related field.
• Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
• OO design/development skills and have experience driving projects from concept to prototype, and finally implementation.
• Mastery of the tools of the trade, including a variety of modern programming languages (Java, C++, Python) and open-source technologies.
• Development experience defining, developing and maintaining web service API's.
• Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality.
• Excellence in technical communications with both technical and non technical peers.
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us//.
Back to top