Software Development Engineer, Amazon Alexa
The Amazon Devices team designs and engineers customer-obsessed consumer electronics, including the best-selling Kindle, Kindle Fire Tablets, Amazon Fire TV, and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
We are focused on building technology that combines natural language understanding, acquiring large volumes of structured knowledge, and machine reasoning to allow customers to get answers to their questions in the most natural way possible. We're building solutions for Amazon Echo, Echo Show, and other products. We're working hard, having fun, and making history; come join us!
You will have an opportunity to directly impact the customer experience, design, architecture, and implementation of products that will be used every day by people you know. We're looking for people who are passionate about innovating on behalf of customers, demonstrate strong product ownership, and are willing to think in new ways to solve hard problems.
The ideal candidate has a track record of success in delivering new features and products, solving problems, and learning new technologies quickly. A commitment to teamwork, proactive approach to solving problems, and strong verbal and written communication skills are essential. Creating reliable, scalable, and high performance products requires technical expertise, understanding of computer science fundamentals, and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. This person is comfortable delivering quality solutions in a fast-growing environment where priorities may change rapidly.
- Contribute to team discussions around solution design and system component design as well as improvement and integration
- Design, develop, ane extend high performance, test-driven code that meets requirements and is scalable and maintainable
- Participate in all stages of the software development cycle, including designing and developing new system architecture and improvements
- Build on and maintain an existing code base as well as new components; maintain production code and contribute to deployment and QA processes
- Participate in prioritization, estimation, and sprint planning
- Work in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 5+ years of industry experience.
- Experience in Computer Science including Java and/or C++.
- Experience building scalable infrastructure software or distributed systems for commercial online services.
- Experience in designing scalable software.
- Experience as leader in engineering environment.
- Strong Java server-side skills; ideally with fluent knowledge of key third party frameworks and libraries such as Spring, JAXB, Hibernate or Guava
- Proficiency in Python
- Experience developing cloud software services with an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
- Previous experience with NLP (natural language processing) techniques desirable
- Experience with distributed and highly optimized data stores desirable
- Development experience defining, developing and maintaining web service APIs
- Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
- Proven technical communications with both technical and non-technical peers and management chain
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top