Software Development Engineer, Alexa Devices
- Toronto, Canada
Interested in Amazon Echo? Love graphics? Want to create products that will reach more than 100 million customers? Come join a close-knit team that's evolving the definition of Alexa, Amazon's virtual assistant.
Our team creates the core graphics software that runs on Alexa-enabled devices with screens. Amazon Alexa started with the vision of delivering the Star Trek computer to our customers. Today, customers can already ask Alexa to control their smart homes, TVs, play music, and get information, news, weather, and more using just their voice. We are now augmenting Alexa's voice-forward interaction model with a range of experiences such as rich animated visuals, video, and immersive audio. We're creating the future of multi-modal interaction - what you see on devices today is just the beginning - it's still Day 1.
We've created the Alexa Presentation Language (APL) which includes a portable rendering engine, tools, content, and responsive templates that developers and device makers can use to author and render multi-modal experiences. Our software powers those experiences on our Echo family of devices, Fire Tablets, Amazon Fire TV, and partner devices like the Facebook Portal. Our Alexa Skills Kit developer tools and Alexa Presentation Language APIs allow anyone to write applications for our devices. We're committed to open source software, and are working to build a community around both our software stack and tools.
You've found the right team if you are a passionate software engineer with experience building innovative applications that customers love. You will join a growing organization in Toronto and have an enormous opportunity to make an impact on the design, architecture, and implementation of cutting edge products used every day, by people you know.
We're working hard, having fun, and making history; come join us!
• Building software that runs with high quality on millions of Echo family devices, and Alexa-enabled Devices.
• Ownership of the definition of the Alexa Presentation Language.
• Understanding the business impact of your systems and showing good judgment when making technical trade-offs.
• Driving engineering best practices (e.g., Operational Excellence, Security, Quality, etc.) and set standards.
• When confronted with discordant views, you are able to find the best way forward and influence others to follow that path, building consensus.
• You contribute to the professional development of colleagues, improving their technical knowledge and engineering practices.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
• Experience defining, developing and maintaining well defined APIs.
• Advanced Android knowledge.
• Domain knowledge: UI creation and rendering across multiple platforms.
• Graduate degree.
• Experience with OO design/development.
• Experience in technical communication across technical and non-technical teams.
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top