Software Development Engineer, Alexa Connected Devices
- Seattle, WA
We're seeking a Software Development Engineer for the Alexa Connected Devices team to help lead the development of highly-visible core infrastructure that manages all internal and third-party smart devices. These systems are the heart of Smart Home and other devices connected to the Alexa service. They are the underlying foundation of upcoming and future innovation.
Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking new Amazon device designed around your voice. We believe voice is the most natural user interface for interacting with the home and is fundamental to enabling the dream of the smart, connected home.
- The changes we make directly impact the customer experience usage of smart devices.
- You will be part of a team that is delivering features that are highly anticipated by media and well received by our customers.
This is a great position for someone who likes backend development, Amazon Web Services, and Service-Oriented Architecture.
- Design and deliver solutions to business challenges that help shape the future technology around how customers interact with smart devices
- Influence the team's technical architecture
- Identify and tackle difficult or complex architecture and business problems.
- Design highly scalable, robust, and extensible architecture
- Provide technical direction and mentorship within your team
- Drive continual improvements to the efficiency and flexibility of the business platform while keeping an extremely high bar for customer trust, performance, and availability.
- The ideal candidate has a track record of launching projects with Java or similar languages, and distributed computing technologies on a Linux platform.
The role we're hiring is for the Devices Entity Resolution (ER) team which is part of the Alexa org. Our team exists within the core Speech Language Understanding (SLU) pipeline. We are responsible for determining which devices and device features customers are referencing when asking Alexa to control their devices with directives such as "turn on the lights," "start the gentle cycle," and "set the temperature to 72 degrees.". Devices ER uses advanced entity resolution technologies, including data reverse indexing, fuzzy matching, tokenization, heuristic based scoring and ranking, and ML model, to enhance our resolution and to minimize friction to customers. Our challenges are to allow Alexa act like human and communicate naturally with customer, especially for complex and implicit utterances.
- This is a highly visible role, operating with many technical leaders and product managers across Amazon Alexa - with stakeholders at all levels of the organization, including senior leadership.
- You will work closely with experienced senior and principal engineers
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 5+ years of professional experience in software development/engineering
- Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs.
- Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
- Experience with Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
- Experience with Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
- Experience with Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide system
- Development experience defining, developing and maintaining REST based interfaces
- Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills and make them more effective product software engineers
- Bachelor's Degree/Master's Degree/PhD in Computer Science or related field
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top