Software Development Engineer
- Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Amazon is investing heavily in building a world class advertising business and we are responsible for defining and delivering a set of audience segments to help advertisers plan media, gain insights about customer behaviors, create targeting strategies, and more. Our teams strive to reinvent the way advertisers and agencies build brands and drive performance in their advertising. By using Amazon's foundation in e-commerce, we help brands connect with the right customers through creative solutions and formats across screens and devices, and in the physical world.
Our products form the core of our display advertising business. We ensure that billions of ads served are relevant to our customers. We are highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
We are looking for excellent candidates to join us as full-time Software Development Engineers. Successful candidates will have solved complex and broad business problems with simple and straightforward solutions, applying appropriate technologies and software engineering best practices, building solutions that scaled and performed. You will also have a focus on the customer experience, great teamwork and communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
You will work as part of an Agile team at our development centre in Edinburgh, Scotland, launching and growing new initiatives for Amazon's global websites. Your team will own the business, technology and operations, giving you the responsibility and authority to ensure success. You will be involved in every aspect of the process - from idea generation, business analysis and technical design through to software development across a variety of technologies. You will be part of a team whose systems meet excellent standards of performance and reliability, and will operate at massive scale, 24x7.
The position offers exceptional opportunities for every candidate to grow their technical and non-technical skills. If you are selected, you have the opportunity to really make a difference to our business by inventing, enhancing and building world class websites and systems, delivering results, working on exciting and challenging projects.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify, and build.
Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use, and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
• Non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• Experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Highly proficient in at least one of Java, C++, C#, Objective-C.
• Algorithms, data-structures, efficiency, concurrency, performance optimization.
• Object-oriented development and design patterns.
• Strong analytical and excellent problem solving skills.
• Strong written and verbal English communications skills.
• Highly pragmatic; we use technology to solve real-world problems expediently.
• Processing big data using Spark
• Machine learning and other statistical analysis
• Cloud computing, large-scale and high-availability distributed architecture
• Experience providing technical leadership
• Experience of mentoring other engineers
Back to top