Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
The Amazon Search team creates powerful, customer-focused search and advertising solutions and technologies. Whenever a customer visits an Amazon site worldwide and types in a query or browses through product categories, Amazon Search services go to work. We design, develop, and deploy high performance, fault-tolerant distributed search systems used by millions of Amazon customers every day. Our Search Relevance team works to maximize the quality and effectiveness of the search experience for visitors to Amazon websites worldwide.
Amazon's large scale brings with it unique problems to solve in designing, testing, and deploying relevance models. We are seeking a strong software engineer to join the Experimentation Infrastructure and Methods team. This team's charter is to increase the pace of experimentation and innovation in the search engine. In practice, we aim to create infrastructure, enable new experimental methods, and do proof-of-concept experiments, that enable Search Relevance teams to introduce new features faster, reduce the cost of experimentation, and deliver faster against Search goals.
In this role you will:
• Work to improve and deploy machine learning models at Amazon scale.
• Take ownership. Understand the needs of various search teams, distil those into coherent projects, and implement them with an eye on long-term impact.
• Be a leader. Use your expertise to set a high bar for the team, mentor team members, set the tone for how to take on and deliver on large impossible-sounding projects.
• Be ambitious. Find and eagerly tackle hard problems. The phrase 'can't be done' should energize you.
• Be curious. You will work alongside systems engineers, machine learning scientists, and data analysts. Your effectiveness and impact will depend on discussing problems with and learning from them. You will have access to the cutting-edge technologies and vast technical tools and resources of Amazon and will need to learn how to use them effectively.
• Be customer focused. Work backwards from customer problems, figure out elegant solutions, and implement them for speed and scalability.
• You are going to love this job because you will:
• Join a highly talented team of Engineers working on solving interesting problems in a fun and collaborative environment.
• Get exposure to large scale use of various AWS components such EC2, S3, EMR, SQS, SNS, etc.
• See the fruits of your efforts used by hundreds of millions of users.
• Have access to the vast technical tools and resources of Amazon.
Joining this team, you'll experience the benefits of working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, while leveraging the resources of Amazon.com (AMZN), one of the world's leading internet companies. We provide a highly customer-centric, team-oriented environment in our offices located in Palo Alto, California.
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering, or related disciplines.
• At least 6 years of industry experience in writing production code using C++ / Java / C# or similar languages
• At least 3 years of industry experience building production web-scale systems that support Machine Learning models.
• Solid understanding of fundamental algorithms, data structures, system design, and complexity analysis.
• Experience with web-scale data processing using Spark or similar technologies.
• Experience with various components of a Search or Ads pipeline such as Query Understanding, Matching, and Relevance is a plus.
• Ability to deal well with ambiguous and undefined problems.
• Ability to discuss complex topics with both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Experience taking a lead role in architecting, designing, and building complex software systems.
Back to top