Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Are you interested in building out a cloud-scale log analytics and search platform? Do you want to revolutionize the way people manage and derive insights from vast volumes of data in the cloud? Do you want to have direct and immediate impact on a large number of AWS users? Do you want to be part of a fast-growing AWS service and work in a fast paced startup style environment?
Join the rapidly growing team building OpenSearch, the newly-launched open-source forks of Elasticsearch and Kibana. As a member of the the AWS OpenSearch team, you will collaborate with a larger community of companies and individuals to guide, develop, and invest in the long-term availability of these open source products.
AWS is hiring a variety of full-time roles dedicated to developing, enhancing, and supporting OpenSearch. Roles include UX design, software engineering, technical writing, community engagement, and more. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to open-source software in a customer obsessed, highly collaborative, team-oriented environment, while leveraging the resources and support of Amazon and AWS.
At AWS, you'll experience the benefits of working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, while leveraging the resources of Amazon.com (AMZN), one of the world's leading internet companies. The Amazon Elasticsearch Service team is part of the rapidly growing AWS Database and Analytics group. We are customer obsessed in a highly collaborative team-oriented environment.
The Amazon OpenSearch Service team designs, develops and operates software that allows customers to index, search and analyze documents at scale in a secure, responsive, and reliable environment. The team is tackling tough data, search and analytics problems. As we expand at a tremendous rate, we are looking for innovative engineers with a passion for data, search, analytics and distributed systems to join the team:
As a Software Development Engineer on the Amazon OpenSearch Service team, you will:
• Design, develop and support a world-class search platform serving individuals and businesses of all sizes
• Produce bullet-proof code that is robust, efficient and maintainable; our primary languages are Java, Python, and C/C++
• Work at the core of Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene open source software with opportunities to contribute to open source
• Work on challenging problems in areas such as data storage, query optimization, JVM performance optimization, security, machine learning and more.
• Continually challenge what exists and explore what should be changed to best meet evolving customer needs
• Possess expert knowledge in large scale distributed system design and engineering best practices
• Participate in setting a vision and objectives for Search Services in alignment with customer needs and market opportunities
• Drive and work on algorithm and architecture design, execute and deliver results
• Invent the future of search and log analytics in the cloud
• Join a great group of motivated, top-notch, people and work with them to solve challenging problems in a fun, collaborative environment
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related engineering discipline
• 8+ years of software development experience in Java, C/C++, and Python
• 6+ years of experience in distributed systems design and large-scale data processing
• Master's Degree or PhD in Computer Science
• 3+ years of experience with public cloud infrastructure
• Experience with ElasticSearch, Apache Solr, or Apache Lucene
• Have a focus on customer experience and satisfaction
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top