Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Are you interested in building the next generation, cloud-based commerce system that's used by millions of customers worldwide? Are you excited by the idea of building real-time stream processing systems that operate at Petabyte scale? Do you want to make an impact at a $10-billion-a-year business? Then we need to talk!
Computing AWS bills, at its core, is a challenging, distributed systems problem that requires calculations performed over trillions of usage records, millions of accounts, and hundreds of thousands of different rates. Furthermore, our applications must meet strict requirements for accuracy and once-and-only-once processing.
As a software developer, you have the opportunity to develop a federated billing system that supports new pricing models using cutting edge technologies like Kinesis, DynamoDB, S3, Lambda, and more. Additionally, you will build meaningful software that helps AWS to bring our largest customers over to the Cloud. And finally, as an Amazon engineer, you get to own the full lifecycle of your systems, work on challenging problems at "Amazon Scale", and collaborate with high-performance technical teammates and having fun doing it.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, then please come join us and help shape the future of the Cloud.
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud providerfrom infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databasesto emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things.
AWS Platform is the glue that holds the AWS ecosystem together. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Learn more about Amazon on our Day 1 Blog: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Strong debugging, troubleshooting, and problem solving skills.
• Proficiency with object-oriented design, data structures, and algorithms.
• Ability to take a project from requirements analysis through to launch and operation of the system in production.
• Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly.
• Experience building extremely high volume and highly scalable web services.
• Experience building highly available systems and operating 24x7 services.
• Experience with distributed systems, consistent hashing, distributed locking, replication, and load balancing.
• Working knowledge of NoSQL databases.
• Experience building billing related systems.
• Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top