Software Development Engineer
- Arlington, VA
Do you want to work for a manager who cares about you as a person and who will provide both positive and candid feedback to help you develop career skills? Do you, in turn, want to help the team responsible for managing Amazon's global workforce data which impacts more than half a million workers and operational aspects of our business?
Our team is building enterprise-scale, mission-critical, multi-tiered web applications for a new Human Capital Management (HCM) internally-facing product that is in its very early stages. Join now to shape the user experience in the design phases and to make the idea real. Our organization is responsible for the in-house software services and applications that manage all aspects of worker business processes (for example: on-boarding, organizational transitions, paying, and others)
You are as passionate about creating compelling experiences for customers as we are. You have entrepreneurial spirit and are excited to join us in this highly visible opportunity. Our growing team is a place where diverse perspectives, collaboration, and inclusivity are valued. You will have the opportunity to help define team culture as well as contribute your engineering expertise and leadership. Come help us lead this new work to empower Amazon people and businesses to focus on what they do best: changing the world.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will take the lead in identifying and solving ambiguous HR, operational, and business problems. You will own and heavily influence the architecture and design, and will write a significant portion of the "critical-path" code. You will influence the team's technical and business strategy by making insightful contributions to priorities and approach. You contribute to all aspects of an agile software development lifecycle including design, architecture, development, documentation, testing and operations. You are empowered to own all aspects of solutions end-to-end through full stack software development. Successful candidates are strong leaders who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivering large scale solutions.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
• At least 4+ years of software development experience.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development lifecycle (SDLC), including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Experience in communicating with customers, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
• Software development experience in NodeJS and React using TypeScript, AWS, S3, SQS, large-scale web services, and serverless applications (API Gateway, Lambda functions, Route53, Cloudfront)
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
• Proven results and a history of project delivery working with Agile engineering practices.
• Excellent leadership, verbal and written communication skills.
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top