Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
We are inventing new ways for customers to shop online and discover products on Amazon. The solution we're planning to build out is core to numerous (already profitable) programs' accelerated growth. It is centered around collecting image and video assets and utilizing them on Amazon for best shopper experience. We're building a new team to design, build out, release and evolve it along the long-term business vision.
Things unique to this role:
• New team + New problem space => More inventing/prototyping/validating, less operations.
• Proven to be a highly profitable product => Provides stability for long term career planning and growth.
• Customer facing product => Requirements are driven by ground truth. Also, ability to showcase solution to loved ones.
What you will work on:
You will work with partner teams of talented engineers and product owners to build solution for both groups of core customers (Amazon shoppers and advertisers). You will design and build our next generation of brand and advertiser facing asset-consuming solution, which will be used by number of products within exiting shopper facing applications. Challenges include high accessibility + durability + fault tolerance, scalability for Amazon's traffic, smart image recognition for meta tagging, and near instant availability for the consuming programs. You will also invent, implement and analyze detailed quality of experience metrics to help us ensure that we continue to provide and improve upon the outstanding experience we deliver to Amazon shoppers.
We believe strongly in experimentation, iterating quickly and getting feedback from our customers. The solutions you create need to ensure that the infrastructure facilitates and encourages this experimentation while being able to scale to the level needed at Amazon. You will have the freedom, support, and encouragement to think big and invent on behalf of our customers.
What we are looking for:
We are looking for a creative, customer and details obsessed Software Development Engineer with a solid background designing and building services. In addition to being technically deep you need to have exceptional product ownership and the ability to own a project from inception through to release and operations. You will need the ability to have a long-term technical vision, while also integrating feedback from customers and taking into consideration the long-term impact of any decisions. We need someone who loves learning and coaching other engineers on the team in a quick moving, iterative and highly collaborative environment.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 5+ years of industry experience in software development
• Experience building services
• Experience in advertising
• Experience communicating requirements and technical designs with users, other technical teams and management
• Experience influencing software engineering approaches and culture within your team
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills and make them more effective and productive software engineers
• Experience with Amazon Web Services is a plus
• Desire to learn new technologies and systems
• Strong sense of ownership and drive
• Sharp problem solving skills and ability to convert ambiguous requirements to structured solutions and actions
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top